Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: 5 handed ftp 55k final table hand

first of all, it's a quarter of our stack, second of all, wtf? you mean to tell me that you would only make a small 3-bet with two aces or two kings? swell!

i guess maybe some ppl would be better at reading what flop textures to c-bet here, and some people would be worse at it, and that seperates who shoves for like 7 thousand dimtes the pot and who makes a smaller 3-bet or elects to call/trap?

dunno, just looking for en explanation
Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first of all, it's a quarter of our stack, second of all, wtf? you mean to tell me that you would only make a small 3-bet with two aces or two kings? swell!

i guess maybe some ppl would be better at reading what flop textures to c-bet here, and some people would be worse at it, and that seperates who shoves for like 7 thousand dimtes the pot and who makes a smaller 3-bet or elects to call/trap?

[/ QUOTE ]

wait. are u talking to me?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I guess I misread stack sizes, but ok its in between 1/3rd and 1/4th of effective stack. For some reason I thought it was a third. Also I generally raise more than 3x a raise when I reraise from the blinds, so my standard raise here would be about 1/3rd of the effective stack. (around 60k)

In general I will do whatever fits the situation best with hands like AA-KK-AK etc. However if I'm playing someone good or observant I will either push everything, or make sure to 3 bet smaller with weak hands to cover up my raises with AA-KK, but I'd still push them occasionally.

Anyway I'm sure raising small is ok, I don't have some giant problem with it or anything, I'm just saying I'd be more likely to go allin. Meanwhile absolutely no one suggested moving allin, and instead everyone wanted to raise almost a third of our stack preflop.

One thing that that's for certain is that pushing is going to be +EV by quite a longshot. Normal 3 bet will be too, and it's hard to figure out which is actually going to yield better results. I tend to just lean towards the lower variance play, which is moving allin, when I think it's close.

Anyway my main rant is that not a single person even suggested moving allin, if I read correctly.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 PM

curtains i think moving all in w/ a small pair here would be superior to moving in w/ AQ. reasons are you think villain is folding most small pairs AND AJ/AT etc. while w/ AQ we want action from these hands. i think i like 3-betting and calling a shove w/ AQ because he is more likely to 4-bet or flat AJ/AT. then again, like you said, moving all-in can't be -EV so it's just a matter of which is more +EV, and i think(though can't prove) a go and go esque play will be better.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 PM

I definitely prefer a flat call preflop.

If you reraise, the guy will (approximately) fold worse hands and call/shove with better ones. Unless you think he'll be tempted to get frisky and stick it in light (in which case by all means give him a chance to hang himself), a 3bet isnt much better than a bluff.

Speaking of which this is a great spot to 3bet bluff with crap for this reason, but that's not the point of discussion here.

If you flat call, your range in his eyes is WIIIIIDE and you can get a ton of value when you hit. There's also a lot of room to get tricky on a lot of flops (i.e. checkraise a KTx flop). Just a ton of ways to find profit.

Reraising is the opposite. He knows a lot about your hand while his range in your eyes is still wide. You're kind of at his mercy at that point.

All in > reraising but it seems like the lazy way out to me, and of questionable EV.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All in > reraising but it seems like the lazy way out to me, and of questionable EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moving allin is so +EV its not even funny.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM

3-bet and call a push. You have a huge hand.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 PM

ya, i guess i just out thought myself here a ton. fwiw results are he instafolded to my 3-bet but after the hand i was like lol i'm dumb cause i was planning to fold to a shove let's find out why. thx for responses guys.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:02 AM

While a push is + EV. Given our image, it just doesnt make any sense. If you push here, he will give you the range of like 99+ or AQ+ and snap call you with AK or TT+ in which case you are dominated or flipping, and he folds out everything else. I think raising or calling is way more +EV, it doesnt cost that much, can probably stack or get a large continuation bets outta hands you beat and might even be able to felt your AQ vs Ax, or JQ, KQ, etc on a good flop. Now if you were really lagtard I like the push since you can sometimes get these calls where you have em dominated.