Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: someone writes me a check....

When I call my bank to check my balance, on of the options is "Verify funds available for a check drawn on our bank." Call The bank and say you have a check drawn on an account at their bank and you need to verify that the check is good before cashing it. You should be able to just go to that bank and find out if it's good and cash it there if it is.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if the account is closed, you won't get the money, and your bank may charge you a fee of ~25+-5 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

I'm pretty sure writing bad checks is a serious crime.

online,

I'd be like "Yo dude, you pay 600 or your ass is going to jail."

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, well i'm definately going to be to lazy to press charges... i guess my question is does his bank do anything to him
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 AM

If you try to cash the check it'll be denied. What this guy did is illegal, but it is up to you to pursue it. If you're serious about it, file a small claims civil action and pay a few extra $ (usually $25) to have him personally served by civil servant. This guy will [censored] his pants when the po po serve him a supena for a civil claim. And if he fails to show for your court date, you'll be given a default judgement, which if not satisfied within 90 days (most states) it will be applied to his credit history as judgement against. If he ever tries to finance/re-finance something major then you'll get paid. Most likely if and when this guy gets served he'll call you up and say something along the lines of 'hey sorry man, I was just kidding around' and pay you. GL & Trip report pls.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 AM

ya so lets say i don't do this.... his bank does nothing to him? I'm just curious now more than anything

btw he probably was just being a sore loser and joking about closing his account

got me thinking about the above question tho, now I'm curious and can't figure out what would happen
Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ya so lets say i don't do this.... his bank does nothing to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, his bank does nothing to him. The bank simply isn't going to honor the check. People close checking accounts all the time, they move, loose checks, ect. The bank isn't really concerned why, unless there is some fraudulent activity and that's when the law enforcement steps in.