Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   someone writes me a check.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=468801)

onlinebeginner 08-03-2007 09:50 PM

someone writes me a check....

what happens if they closed their bank account... it's not a huge amount of money <300 dollars... but I know the person closed their account... what happens? Does it even effect they're credit or anything, or do I have to file charges or something to get my money

basically made a bet with someone... some dispute over if I won... guy writes me a check... next day calls me and goes haha I closed the account

what happens to him if I try to cash the check but am too lazy to take any sort of actions????

onlinebeginner 08-03-2007 10:57 PM

Re: someone writes me a check....

nobody knows?

d0nkaments 08-03-2007 11:25 PM

each bank is different.

onlinebeginner 08-03-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
each bank is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

k well what are some policies from some banks...

hlacheen 08-04-2007 01:33 AM

Wow I have no clue, sorry. I think you're screwed though.

jaydub 08-04-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I have no clue, sorry. I think you're screwed though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate, I figured check writer was [censored]. OP may not get paid but for small dollars, the writer did something really dumb.

Though I've never worked in banking so I may be wrong, they have complex and [censored] rules.

Also since I'm bothering to post... OP, howsa bout you actually pick up a phone and call the bank? Maybe they could shed some light? I don't know, maybe that would be better than asking a poker forum. Just a thought.

J

meditate89 08-04-2007 02:57 AM

if the account is closed, you won't get the money, and your bank may charge you a fee of ~25+-5 dollars.

many banks would like you to not have any outstanding checks when you close the account with them- this guy could be lying and still have his account open. If you think there's even a 10% chance that his account his open and has $300 in it, you should risk depositing the check.

Moral of story: don't take checks from people you don't know fairly well. Deposit checks as soon as you get them. Stop making bad posts about things you can easily google. Also might want to google 'they're there their' - if you're not too lazy

Thremp 08-04-2007 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if the account is closed, you won't get the money, and your bank may charge you a fee of ~25+-5 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

I'm pretty sure writing bad checks is a serious crime.

online,

I'd be like "Yo dude, you pay 600 or your ass is going to jail."

kyleb 08-04-2007 06:18 AM

what thremp said

jman3232 08-05-2007 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
basically made a bet with someone... some dispute over if I won... guy writes me a check... next day calls me and goes haha I closed the account

[/ QUOTE ]

hes a liar, he didnt close the account