Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: WOW just saw the anti net-neutrality \"mumbo jumbo\" ad

[ QUOTE ]
The reality is that the monopolies will stay in place. In utopia, we'd have infinate choices. Aint gonna happen. This kinda negates all your arguments.

If you think that passage of this bill will somehow magically create competition, dude you swallowed the wrong pill.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you're quite grasping what pvn is saying. What makes you think he's arguing in favor of passing more legislation?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meech, you have to understand where PVN is coming from. I doubt he actually cares about NN and I would be surprised if he's in favor of NN. He is arguing with you to advance his larger anti-government agenda. He wants to convince you that A. government is stupid, B. therefore we should get rid of it and C. The best way to do that is Anarcho-Capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eww. While I can certainly understand why most people might write off ACists as wackos, this is the danger. Just because pvn is an ACist doesn't mean his arguments in this thread - about one specific issue - rely on a total removal of government, nor that he's advancing his larger agenda. If this were a thread about farm subsidies, minimum wage, or whatever, or some other isolated issuelike this one, pvn could argue til he was blue in the face why those PARTICULAR issues are counter to economic theory, without necessitating a switch over to full AC. When the thread reaches the point of the basic legitimacy of government, you'll know it, because it will be another "but without the government who would pay for roads???!" rerun.

I also understand what you're doing, trying to identify the players (pvn is AC) for the uninitiated. Especially since when the uninitiated finds out they're arguing with an ACist, what you get is that rerun. But a) I've seen Meech around enough that I think he knows who the major ACists are, and b) you should be careful you don't write off all arguments of any ACist as the radical ramblings of a revolutionary. A lot of it is just basic economics and freedom from people whose uncommon perspective comes from being willing to question the basic assumptions of the status quo.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:14 AM

PVN,

I wasn't trying to rebut your argument. You've actually been on your game in this thread and you've moved me a little on this issue. I'm just trying to explain why Meech isn't going to get anywhere with you with the small picture arguments here.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just disagree. Perhaps there is a little pinko commie inside of me or something.

I view internet access much like a utility. Like electricity, you need x amps, get get x amps. It doesn't care what you use it for.

I dont like the fact that internet content could be affected by somebody's or some company's agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm sure if ISPs were allowed to do what they want, you would be able to find one that would give you unrestricted sccess to any site you want for a reasonable price. right?