Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Borgata 40-80, KQo

[ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting point. You're saying you'd rather lose a bet looking for value than not take the chance to get the value. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

<disclaimer> I hope this doesn't come off as too pompous, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about this subject lately. I am sure it's nothing new to anyone here, but it never hurts to discuss things we already know.</disclaimer>

It has a lot to do with the fundamental differences between limit and big-bet poker. Playing no-limit or pot-limit our opponents mistakes can be infrequent but still large enough to keep our earn high. But with limit poker they'll never be able to make big (in terms of EV) mistakes, so we have to make sure they make LOTS of mistakes. A lot of times they'll make them all by themselves, but we have to give them as many opportunities as possible. Even if that means risking a FTOP mistake ourselves.

Every time I see my opponents hand and know that I could have eeked out an extra bet somewhere, I feel like I robbed myself. Of course, there are times when a hand plays in such a way that I could never find the extra bet, but I have to keep looking for them.

-Blake
Old 10-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Like joker said, I think it's a leak of mine to overlook the chance of gaining value in these spots and too often go for the ch instead. Reinforcing the fundamentals is the key to success for just about everything. NH
Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 PM

I think this depends on your estimation of his preflop 3-betting range. With a relatively loose 3-betting range that contains marginal high cards, I think you should bet, hope that he pays you off with a worse two pair and fold to a raise. If he is not 3-betting light, then you simply aren't winning often enough and should check-fold.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting point. You're saying you'd rather lose a bet looking for value than not take the chance to get the value. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can all agree that value betting is a very important aspect of poker. But there's no point in attempting to "value bet" against a range of hands where the majority is beating ours.