Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Do\'s and Dont\'s to make a good game

Deal and shuffle quickly.

When someone else tanks, for F(*&(*& sake think yourself!

Just tonight, had a bet, and then three people went into the tank one after another. Did the third one really need that long to think about it? I think not

I think be nice to the fish. If you point out their bad plays, as mason says, you embarrass them into playing better. Or even worse, avoiding you in pots.

Until recently, i played like the devil, and was more than happy to deliberately tilt people and take full advantage of it.

Now, after reading about act like jesus and play like the devil, my behaviour has improved. I dont show cards, dont discuss any poker theory, and just agree with any load of crud that gets said.

Case in point. $11 pub poker tonight. Fckwit's hot girlfriend has AA, she raises 200 (blinds 25/50). Then, on the flop, she bets 200, turn 200, then shoves ai on river.

Atrocious play. Pf good, Flop pot was 800. SHe should have bet 500 on flop, shove the turn.

VIllain had odds to call his gutshot, and was berated by fckwit for calling the 200. But, he closed off the betting, and was guarranteed to get more of her stack. So villain starts talking about implied odds.

I would have just smiled, said nice hand, and mucked. End of story. If asked, i would have said something like didnt feel like calling, but not talk about my cards at all
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM

Do take a shower and wear deodorant when you play cards. Dress nicely. Poker is a gentleman's game.

Dont fart at the table. No one wants to smell your ass. If abdominal bloating is too painful, stand up, find a clearing and let one rip. If need be, go sit on the toilet for a while. Make sure you wash your hands, too.

Do try to be friendly and sociable at the table, or at least quiet. Dont pick fights with a bad player or a maniac by constantly 3-betting him or by making him look foolish. Dont start personal 1 on 1 revenge wars because it may make the other players uncomfortable.
Dont utter curse words under your breath aimed at the guy who just beat you. Even though you are just mumbling to yourself, some may take it personally and it is rude.
Dont swear in other languages that players dont understand. It is rude and lacking dignity.
Do find ways to make good from the bad and laugh at the insanity of the game.

-J
Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM

A couple little "tricks" i have, if you will...all in the image I try to create in that I am just there to have fun.

1) I become friends with every dealer and know their names. Sometimes I'll "blame" the dealer (when I have a good rapport with them) if someone takes/gives a bad beat. It takes the tension away from the players, "aww damn Dante you really pulled that one out of your ass!" or "wow betsy I can't lose when you're dealing." Tell people when your "winning dealer" is coming to the table, and if you win while they're there - credit the dealer.

2) I'll say before the hand is dealt (usually if I'm in a blind) that I WILL win the next pot. You get tons of action if you hit, and if you don't, make up some excuse as to why you have to fold, "jeeze, apparently you made the same declaration to the poker gods as i did this hand...they must love you more than me".

3) Get to know people and their names. Become their friends (some of my friends disagree with this, but it honestly makes me have a much more enjoyable experience). If Gerry has won three hands in a row with backdoor flushes, high-five him and tell him he's sick! At the same time, warn everyone else to stay out of Gerry's way, blah blah blah.

Maybe this requires an outgoing personality, but I donno. I usually have ten times more fun this way, and it appears that my opponents (whether winning or losing) have fun too. I think it was Negreanu that said his goal was to have every losing player walk away with a smile on their face saying how much fun they had and want to come back the next day.

edit: I've found this system to work much more easily if there is another outgoing person at the table who you can play off of. Once you start getting more vocal you can get other people into the mix.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:51 AM

Don't go crazy and call one of your best friends a "phi beta Kamaka" when the drunken Hawaiian cold calls 3 bets PF from the other room with J9o and cracks your aces(True Story).

I try to keep booze to a minimum; drunken idiots are not my cup of tea. I also try to keep everybody on the same page. What I mean by that I don't invite my more serious poker playing acquanintances to the game where the real point is to drink and BS with old friends and vice versa.

Good Luck,

Fitz
Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 AM

wtf is a 'phi beta kamaka'?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:11 AM

I'm going to go against the grain here.

Don't say nh or anything at all in chat whatsoever no matter what happens.