Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Grindhouse opens today...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go see it in a few minutes. I'm pretty dissapointed that so many people are ragging on the dialog in Tarantino's segment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he blew his wad helping out Rodriguez yet again, in the first flick.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 AM

iunno, I for some reason liked Tarantinos Death Proof and thought the dialogue was pretty funny and all.

But Planet Terror was also a crazy movie.

The duel movie combo is def good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] like 2 for 1
Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 AM

Whoa, its an actual double feature. I assumed it was going to be two forty five minute movies.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if any of this was on purpose. After all, grindhouse films were, frankly, usually notably BAD, sometimes even hilarious when they tried to be anything but the crap they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

planet terror obviously pokes fun at itself as do the fake previews. but death proof is actually technically waaaay better than planet terror. the film print isn't nearly as scratched and grainy and by the end of it, tarantino seems to have completely abandoned the idea and just made a bad-ass car chase movie.

if you mean in terms of the the dialouge, it def was not bad on purpose as it has sharp tarantino wit all over it. i am not very familiar with blaxplotation films but i think a lot of the dialouge could be driven off of those. death proof is a little slow paced, but i actually found it all pretty interesting. kurt russell is a real bad ass in this one.

both movies have their different appeals. planet terror is just silly fun while death proof is sort of actually, like a tarantino film, which is good too.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:45 AM

blarg,

the stuff that was intentionally bad/campy was great. however my least favorite thing about the entire shabang was tarantino failing badly when trying too hard and sounding like a hacky college writer trying to sound hip. and it wasn't like he was doing a caricature of his own work, or satirizing his expected dialogue/image. it was just bad, boring, and uninspired.

dumb side note: in one of the fake trailers there was a quick scene of a cop crouched down, placing his finger from a pool of blood to his mouth and tasting it, then saying "it's blood". weird to me because i have this identical moment in a short story i wrote in highschool.

also, i still want to sodomize rosario dawson.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:53 PM

I am completely out of it or did anyone else have no idea that Sidney Poitier had a fine daughter named Sydney Poitier (Jungle Julia)?
Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 PM

I completely forgot about her after she left Veronica Mars, but yes, a complete hottie.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dumb side note: in one of the fake trailers there was a quick scene of a cop crouched down, placing his finger from a pool of blood to his mouth and tasting it, then saying "it's blood". weird to me because i have this identical moment in a short story i wrote in highschool.

[/ QUOTE ]

and he looked like david caruso, i thought they HAD to be making fun of him.

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] zoe bell after this and i thought the tarantino movie was fun. when you look at how long the car chase scenes were, you have to remember that he is basically trying to showcase bell (who was Uma's stunt double in Kill Bill) since she is doing her own stunts and it's like his tribute to how completely badass she is.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 PM

Yeah. On one level you appreciate it for how awesome the chase scene is, then you get on the meta level and you think, wow, Zoe Bell's balls are bigger than mine.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 AM

The chase scene was so absurdly over the top that it caused me to break disbelief for a moment because I was thinking, why don't they just slow down when he is along side of them?"

Then I remembered, [censored] it, its just that kind of movie. Enjoy it for what it is.