Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Grindhouse opens today... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374053)

Patton4 04-06-2007 07:58 PM

Grindhouse opens today...

Just got back from the Tarantino/Rodriguez double feature. If you are any type of a fan of either of these guys, you will want to use three hours and change to experience these films!

As not to spoil anything, I'll just give a brief opinion of each... Rodriguez's film is much more fast paced and exciting and Tarantino's is much more dialogue based (as per usual), but both are outstanding in their own right. Rodriguez easily gets my nod for my personal favorite. Tarantino's is too dialogue heavy, and many of those I saw it with didn't like it for that fact. BTW, please do not skip out to the restroom during the intermission, because all 3 previews are must see's!!!

rutang 04-07-2007 12:05 AM

Re: Grindhouse opens today...

we're gonna go see this at the starlight drive-in....

as soon as it stops SNOWING here in ATLANTA... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Chris Daddy Cool 04-07-2007 12:11 AM

loved both films.

the fake previews are hilarious.

RJT 04-07-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we're gonna go see this at the starlight drive-in....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds perfect!

drexah 04-07-2007 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
loved both films.

the fake previews are hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for ruining it? mayyybee....

snagglepuss 04-07-2007 01:37 AM

they should have reversed the order the films were shown. planet terror is awesomely bombastic.

the fake previews of course are all pretty much awesome. loved the thanksgiving one.

tarantino's half of the film would have been much much better had it been trimmed substantially. the car stunts were pretty amazing, but even they seemed to get a bit redundant and dragged on too long.

all of the long dialogue bits were overindulgent and lousy. it was like a bad tarantino impression to be honest, and i was bored and just waiting for everyone to shut the [censored] up. if he had been sitting next to me i would have said "don't try so hard, nerd."

[text missing]

that said, i had a pretty fun time, and it is worth catching in the theaters. just be forewarned that the intensity drops off dramatically for the second film.

"that boy has the devil inside him" or whatever was one of my favorite lines for some reason.

also, i used to never think rose mcgowan was particularly hot. but wow she looked amazing.

Abones 04-07-2007 01:42 AM

I enjoy the entire movie.

My favorite part had to be the fake previews.

I do agree with snagglepuss the dialog in the Tarantino movie was junk. The car chase was insane and I think it saved the film. The movie is mindless fun.

Phresh 04-07-2007 01:46 AM

I'm gonna go see it in a few minutes. I'm pretty dissapointed that so many people are ragging on the dialog in Tarantino's segment.

Chris Daddy Cool 04-07-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go see it in a few minutes. I'm pretty dissapointed that so many people are ragging on the dialog in Tarantino's segment.

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean its not reservoir diner scene or pulp fiction chitter chatter good, but i thought some of it was still pretty good stuff.

Blarg 04-07-2007 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they should have reversed the order the films were shown. planet terror is awesomely bombastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing noted on the Ebert site by his substitute reviewer. Sounds fair. Usually it's easier to sit through the slower film first, then when your ass is sore and your patience is more worn out, it's hit the stupid stuff. That's the way everyone I know has always watched videos, at least.

[ QUOTE ]
the fake previews of course are all pretty much awesome. loved the thanksgiving one.

tarantino's half of the film would have been much much better had it been trimmed substantially. the car stunts were pretty amazing, but even they seemed to get a bit redundant and dragged on too long.

all of the long dialogue bits were overindulgent and lousy. it was like a bad tarantino impression to be honest, and i was bored and just waiting for everyone to shut the [censored] up. if he had been sitting next to me i would have said "don't try so hard, nerd."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if any of this was on purpose. After all, grindhouse films were, frankly, usually notably BAD, sometimes even hilarious when they tried to be anything but the crap they were.

[ QUOTE ]

also, i used to never think rose mcgowan was particularly hot. but wow she looked amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The now-standard fugly tattoo and how flabby she used to be when she hung with Marilyn Manson definitely turned me off to her so far. But in the previews she looks like she got more attractive and worthy of my lame-ass attentions. Which is surprising, because I've developed a distate for her previously, and I usually don't give those up. Just not my type. Maybe this flick(s) will change that.