Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: luckyjimm busto?

[ QUOTE ]
so why dont you learn discipline

[/ QUOTE ]

Why doesn't the alcoholic learn how to drink sensibly?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how would you say a person can "learn" discipline? Because it's something I've never been able to do. A person can learn to practice discipline I think, but either you are a disciplined person or you're not, and I think it's mostly a personality trait.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 PM

if you spent half the time you put in on 2p2 making stupid threads and/or railing high stakes games, and read some books/threads about actual poker, you might have money.

-30k is insane to me, like at some point do you say "why am i flushing my money away?" How negative does your roi have to be before you realize you are doing something wrong?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why doesn't the alcoholic learn how to drink sensibly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in England?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you spent half the time you put in on 2p2 making stupid threads and/or railing high stakes games, and read some books/threads about actual poker, you might have money.

-30k is insane to me, like at some point do you say "why am i flushing my money away?" How negative does your roi have to be before you realize you are doing something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

READ INSIDE THE POKER MIND PLZ OP
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that he's been playing and losing for 2 1/2 years and hasn't quit suggests he's not motivated by winning money, so why should it matter?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that he's been playing and losing for 2 1/2 years and hasn't quit suggests he's not motivated by winning money, so why should it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the PLO High books you could care to mention, talked over hands with more experienced players, read the forums, etc. But a sound understanding of strategy, odds etc can't make up for lack of discipline, bankroll management and tilt/spew control - these are what make me a loser.

Of course I prefer to win than to lose. But I never had much idea what to do with the money I won except use it to play more poker, which perhaps ensured it was inevitable I'd hand it back.

I really don't know how much I lost... I worked out from August to December last year I was actually a winning player, having looked at details of all my deposits and withdrawals. But this year I would lose about $300-$400 a week, every week. Yes, it sucks, and yes, you get bored of it - but not for a very long time. You see, most every time I'd put in $400, I'd get up to $800 or $1200 before I lost it all. And each time I'd tell myself I'd quit ahead for once....
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 PM

Do you play live at all?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 PM

It really sucks to hear these stories jimm, you seem like a really cool guy- I know no strat in BBV but you really need a fn girlfriend or at least a friend to tell you to get your life in order
It sucks to see peoples lives trainwrecked because of gambling (OK sometimes its funny)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM

i have a gf but my poker life sounds alot like jims. going broke doesnt mean you suck, why doesnt 2+2 understand that. as long as you learn from your mistakes. i remember cashing out 12k before the legislation and now i have nothing... but i still grind daily, keep your head up jim, your break will come sir.