Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Re: He\'s got a big hand, he\'s telling me, right?

[ QUOTE ]
btw, when I said easy easy easy call I also think he has the boat, but you have to call and it's easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

There! This was the answer I was looking for. Thought I was almost 99% sure he made the boat, but since he didn't flash his cards, I just couldn't (and shouldn't) lay my hand down to the odds presented.

I called instantly (after telling him in the chat box that I knew he had me) and of course he rivered quads. Why do people pull this crap? Had we been deeper, I would've laid down an otherwise clear call just because of his talk.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM

I agree with OSU

"The speech" is one of the biggest tells.
- But I would have called too.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]

This is about as blatant a tell as you can find online. You've got to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-20-2006, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question #1: Should I have raised more?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is 800 in the pot. If your intention is to get at least one caller if not two, so you can extract more on the river, your bet of 700 worked.

If your intention was to take it down here, I think you need to bet at least 800, if not 1000-1200.

You have the nuts right now on a relatively non-scary board. The only hand I worry about is a set which has 10 outs. Villain's play (probe bet on the flop, decent bet on the turn) looks more like 99, 88, or A7s, maybe A5s, although I will sometimes make a probe-looking bet in order to induce a re-raise rather than check-raising.

I think extracting more on the river is probably the right line.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 AM

yeah, he's got the boat, but you have to call.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 PM

First off, on this board why would you try a ck raise on the turn? If you had just bet out say the pot, and then if someone called you or both, then you would have some idea where you were at when the 5 came.

On the river the pot is 1700 before you bet and you have 2200, why do you bet 1000 there? if he will call that he will call 2200 more than likely, and if not, who cares you took down a 1700 chip pot.

The problem with betting 1000 is you leave yourself open to someone maybe making a bluff at you and scaring you off your hand.

I think you needed to evaluate what your opponent was calling with on PF the flop, and on the turn. Either you have to push or you have to check the river and see what he does.

I don't think that betting 1000 into a 1700 pot on the river 5 makes any sense. If you had ckd it, and he comes over the top all in, it is a tough decision, but you can lay it down and move on if you think he has the boat. Yeah, it sucks, but it is early and who cares. you have a stack. You have a hand that you want to showdown.

I totally disagree that you have to call on the river if you know you are beat. I don't care what the pot odds are, if you know you are beat and you have chips, 1200 at the 20/40 level, which is plenty, then you can fold this, but if you don't think he has the flush, then yes, you have to call.

I would think that this guy has the full house and wants you to call after the comment I would be more inclined to fold and move one.