Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: WPEX went to 75% contributed rakeback?

[ QUOTE ]
This hasn't always been the case. Some months ago when a thread was started to let forum readers know that WPX started offering Omaha, it was quickly locked. Such information may have been of interest to a PLO player who wouldn't normally read the WPX thread because WPX didn't offer PLO. Such a thread, had it remained active, may have helped build a PLO playing base at WPX. Instead it melted into the back pages locked and unnoticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the thread, but I think I would remember if there was a point made in another thread, by PM, or in ATF, that it should not have been locked.

However, I do not believe that if a few Twoplustwo players had started playing PLO because of it that it would have had any more effect on the site as a whole than the Twoplustwo players who play other games at WSEX. The "problem" with WSEX was never that too few Twoplustwo readers play there.

[ QUOTE ]
WPX seems to be treated differently on this forum in part because their success was a direct threat to the business interests of entities like affiliates and software vendors; entities who are very active in these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. I am not an affiliate; and Jim and I have no brief from Twoplustwo other than to keep this forum running as smoothly as we can.

The WSEX thread started because of the "spammers" that caused considerable upset to the forum plus damage to the image of WSEX in the eyes of Twoplustwo readers, (and, ironically, in the eyes of the GM of WSEX). No other sites have ever had such irritating spammers, (and "spammer" is the correct description because their misguided intention was to try to attract more players so that they could receive more rakeback), but had they, there would probably be a thread for them too.

The monthly WSEX thread was a huge success in terms of reducing the spamming; and also because the WSEX GM makes a point of reading every post in it. (He did not have the time to search around for scattered threads of suggestions and ideas when they were trying their utmost to improve the site.) As I said earlier, it is really him that still wants one collective thread rather than many individual threads.

Perhaps this is clouding my judgement? I think that most people want the General Manager of a major poker site to read their post. If you think that forum readers are happy with their posts being read only by other forum readers then maybe I shouldn't listen to his request and just let all threads run their course, (unless spammers become involved again)? I could state in the "Official" thread that posts there will definitely be read by the GM, whereas other threads stand a much lesser chance of being read by him.

[ QUOTE ]
The small number of "spammers" seemed to be enthusiastic players who sometimes went over the top in their volume of posts. Still, many found their posts to be considerably less of an annoyance than the constant trolling of those who don't play at WPX who have an inimical relationship and work against the success of the site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true at all. "Sometimes" is an incredible understatement. If you are saying the ones that complained against the constant spamming were more annoying than the spammers, then I think you have forgotten those days. (Thank goodness, you should be saying!) Those complaining about the spammers, while some of them may have been affiliates for other sites, did no damage to WSEX.

[ QUOTE ]
If certain individuals make an inappropriate volume of posts then deal with the individual and apply to the same standards to those who both spam and troll.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were, are, and will be dealt with in the same way.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:16 PM

I agree 100% with Mike! The WPEX spamming was really out of control and Mike had the great idea of one master thread. We try to organize this forum for the maximum enjoyment for all readers. That task is much more difficult with the rapid readership growth these past few years. We can never please everyone no matter how hard we try.

I am also not an affiliate for any poker site nor have the admins requested we deal with WPEX any differently than any other poker. I think the $3 max rake is absurd online and am in favor of anything that could reduce that figure.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
amalgamated

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM

mike,

i agree that consolitading similar mundane posts into one is a great idea. it makes it easier for everyone involved.

my biggest complaint is that posters dont know or dont care enough to change the subject line relevant to what they are discussing. had this been buried in the monster, i would have missed it. "my already read post" function doesnt work that well. im glad you let this thread stand alone. i like your modship and judgement.

yes, i read in threaded mode. i guess thats the kinda guy i am seriously, it allows me to pick who's responses i want to read and can follow the discussion by quickly seeing the time/date stamps.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 PM

all of those monster threads are brutal. I would love to hear updates on epassporte and WPEX, but to sift through 300 random posts just flat out sucks.

I had no problem with spam threads. Some of them were even mildly entertaining.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 PM

There is a reason why 99% of the people read in Flat mode.

Try it for a few days and you'll find out how much better your experience here becomes if you do.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason why 99% of the people read in Flat mode.

Try it for a few days and you'll find out how much better your experience here becomes if you do.

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO @ ANYONE who doesn't use Flat mode. Why even bother?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Is FLAT mode the default ?

If not, it should be. DUCY ?