Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: A note regarding position in this hand....

[ QUOTE ]
Some people have noted that I did not reveal my position relative to yours. Because I have declared myself to be all-in, it did not seem to me that position is any longer an issue, since there will be no more betting if you decide to call. However, for the sake of completeness, I began the hand in the cutoff, and you were one seat to my right.

The responses have been interesting so far, and am looking forward to reading more of them.

TK

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just "for the sake of completeness." Terrible. That's like saying "Yeah, I raised and there was a push, so, it really doesn't matter if I raised UTG or CO or button." C'mon.

Where was the limper? EP, MP, Pluto?

This has the potential to be a very interesting post if it actually utilized the art of providing complete information.

As played, the limper and how he has played is pretty important. If limper is tight pre + CO knows this (I assume he does), then I may just limp in. If limper is a loose passive or not that tight, then I would raise to 400 (not 300), then if CO repops me, I have to make a decision. I think my decision would be to CR if I feel that he could fold 1010, JJ, or AQ/AK [which I think he can). I would bet a little more to make it apparent that I was committed with this hand.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: A note regarding position in this hand....

I assume you have a bigger pair and assume I'm a donkey for getting too agressive. If it's a bluff it's shear brilliance with the blinds at 50/100 and I have no problem paying that off either. I don't like praying you have AK and I'm at best coin flip for all my chips. so either way I happily fold...Given the choices (which I don't like any of)... I fold face up. Two reasons for face up...

1. so you see I will re-raise you with little pairs fearlessly, and then the next time I do it to someone there I hope to do it with AA KK QQ AK and get paid off.
2. hoping you will feel compelled to show me your hand (highly unlikely).
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: So, what is the right price (if any) to call here?

The real weak 3 raise is very fishy, I would never make this play with the stacks without a great read. It is a close spot as to what to do. The reason for calling could be made that I will still have a decent stack and M if I call and lose and if I win I have a nice chip stack. If I fold and I am a great player then I still have chips to play with. Against a table of sharks I call here, against your average $300 buy in table I fold and just outplay everyone thereafter avoiding these close spots.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Default another thing to consider....

Very few people have had trouble with the idea of calling the initial re-raise (a 3-bet) with pocket 9's. To me, this makes sense from the standpoint of making the call when one has enough chips so that if overcards hit the flop, and a 9 does not appear, one can get off the hand with minimal damage. However, the hand was not played with a flat-call of the initial re-raise -- it was played with my opponent (you) making a 4-bet to t2,500, and then with me making my second re-raise (a five-bet) all-in.

At this point, it seems to me that one must contemplate seriously the possibility that such a betting pattern is not indicative of a bluff. If that is the case, then are the 9's really getting "the right price" to call -- especially at such an early stage of the tournament?

So far, while some responses have admitted my 5-bet range probably is beating 99, nobody has mentioned whether they think that, at level two of a somewhat deep-stacked tourney, they believe it is correct to make this call heads-up.

TK
Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: another thing to consider....

BBV is down the street
Old 03-20-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: another thing to consider....

I'd rather dip my nuts in acid rather than raise to T2500 in this spot. From my standpoint, if I had raised to T2500, I have a pretty damn good intent to get it AI - like I have JJ+/AKs or something. So, if I am raising, I'm raising to ~3300 so that I can turn my raise not into some sort of pussy feeler thing against a three-bet, but more so against a "If you want your [censored] 1010, JJ, AK, or AQs in, let's get it in, [censored]." And then if he does push, I have to call. I don't want to ever have to decide whether to fold or push after 3-betting in this structure. After 3-betting, there need be but one option with this stack.

OK, having said that, now at T6500 after my ghastly 4-bet, I probably let it go. And I don't show - let the table think about what I folded.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: so, does it make sense to call the all-in here?

[ QUOTE ]
If you seem to know what you're doing you might think I'm stealing with Ax, any 2 broadway, PP, or any connector. I would put you on AT+, KQ, 66+ which is hardly a desperate attempt to steal. I like to play flops, so I would call your 3 bet which should be scarier for you then a reraise and play post flop poker with position while also keeping the pot small. Any kind of 4 bet is gonna pot commit me to calling a push from you so I'd like to see a flop.

As played villain didn't play too badly, just differently then I do his 3 bet isn't horrible especially since 99 doesn't play real well post flop and you're only shoving with the bigger hands that are killing him (AA, KK, QQ) and the others that are flipping (AK, maybe AQ).

EDIT: As far as your question: C) I instacall then puke and wonder why I got myself pot committed with 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops I thought you were in one of the blinds. I would change your reraising range and whether I call or fold to your 3 bet depending on what position you are. To answer your question, I still call, but I try not to put myself in bad spots like this.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Placing you in opponent\'s seat....

This is an insta-call, all day every day.
Pot odds: 2.6 to 1 ish.
Even against the worst range for our hand TT+,AK we only need 2.2 to 1 ish.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an insta-call, all day every day.
Pot odds: 2.6 to 1 ish.
Even against the worst range for our hand TT+,AK we only need 2.2 to 1 ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its so nice to see the level of idiot has grown on this forum.

This is a good thing! Keep spouting nonsense and use that authoritative language to make it sound 'right'. That way more people will play like you, and then justify it as a 'right' play.

IN THIS SPOT, Fourth raise is 89% AA. Its 10% KK, 1% other.

you need way WAY more than 2.2 - 1 to make this call.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 PM

Well if it was me I would not have made the 2500 reraise, but I would have definetly called and flopped my quads to your set. I would only make that RR if I was looking to get all the chips in the middle no way would I fold to your AI.

First off I would only called preflop because of how you described your play. I would put you on a range of something like 88-AA AK-AQ and that seems pretty ugly to me, but mabye you blinked weird or something so I picked up a read that you are weak and I would make the IIIIINNNNSTTTAAAAAAAA-CALL!