Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 AM

Default TPNK damn it !!

The hand is from the Stars Million $500+30

Any preflop, flop and turn advise would be appreciated:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t9125)
UTG (t10250)
UTG+1 (t13975)
MP1 (t11575)
<font color="#C00000">MP2 (t12253)</font>
MP3 (t16997)
CO (t13275)
Button (t12650)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t6875)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t300, MP2 calls t300, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1200) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t900</font>, Hero calls t900, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (t3000) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t2100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t5675</font>, MP2 calls t3575.

River: (t14350) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t14350
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: t14350 (t14350), between MP2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by MP2 (t14350).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4h Qh (one pair, queens).
MP2 has Td Qd (one pair, queens).
Outcome: MP2 wins t14350. </font>

My Analysis:

Preflop : Completing the SB was fine with 2 callers

Flop : This is the first puzzle, Do you check-fold any time you flop TPNK on a multiway pot?, if MP1 or MP2 bet, I most probably fold, but since the bet came from the last person to act, my hand may be good, therefore the call; Is a check-raise better? Is leading better?, because of the size of my stack, Is it the check-raise all in better if I'm not folding?, IS the call better and then shove any turn? shove the turn just if a club? just if a non-club?

Turn : I think it was a total mistake, if I'm going all in, it's better to just lead all in, instead of check raising without any fold equity. He'd probably called anyway.

Meh, I should just fold the flop all the time until I learn how to play TPNK.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: TPNK damn it !!

I generally lead the flop and fold to minimal resistance. Your hand just doesn't have enough value to plan to stack off 23x BB without a read of weakness. Unless I improve (including as little as possibly picking up a gut shot), I check the turn planning to fold to a normal 3/4ish bet.

I would only play the way you played it if mp2 is crazy aggro.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 AM

I'd lead the flop as played but I'd probably fold pre. Alternatively, depending on how these guys play their limps to a raise, you can go and go or just shove. I think completing is about the worst option there. The fact there are two callers is somewhat irrelevant when you're rarely flopping big enough to win the hand OOP and probably not getting paid off when you do.

Go and go is kind of cool given the stacks.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Zee, can you elaborate on the advantages of a flop lead?

Informational?
Preventing your opponent from bluffing near optimally?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:11 AM

I usually do a flop lead to find out if my TPNK is good enough for me to be ahead. It's an information bet to find out where one is in the hand.

The other options are a check-raise or a check-call.

By betting out one forces the opponent to act and maybe make mistakes.

By just check-calling the flop one get about zero information about villans hand.

By check-raising one might commit a large chunk of ones stack with the worst hand.

Put the villians to the test and force them to make the hard decisions.

Sometimes one will win less if it happens that one really is ahead and the opponents fold to the bet - but its a safer way to find out when ones behind.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually do a flop lead to find out if my TPNK is good enough for me to be ahead. It's an information bet to find out where one is in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what exactly is the information you get if called by someone with position?

Does this mean if you bet the flop and get called you're done with the hand and you're check-folding the turn?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And what exactly is the information you get if called by someone with position?

Does this mean if you bet the flop and get called you're done with the hand and you're check-folding the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the opponents fold I win the pot - it's over.

If I bet the flop and get re-raised I fold.

If I just get called - then I get to see the turn card and have a chance to re-evaluate my hand.

If the hands improve I can bet again and if the turn card is bad a check-fold are most often the best action.

Against nits who can fold two high cards when they dont hit the flop - this line works well.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd lead the flop as played but I'd probably fold pre.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see a few problems leading this flop in particular, since there's both a flush draw and a straight draw (not too unlikely given deepish stacks and two limps) on the board vs three other players. If you get called, opponents' range is still wiiiide open, and at the same time there's a whole bunch of turn scare cards/you still have no idea where you're at.

I like leading flops that are a bit drier, I'm not entirely sure it's the best option here though. For that reason I agree that folding PF is probably best, I complete way too much in these situations myself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If we do lead, I like a 3/4 bet.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Yes, it's problematic. However, leading from the blinds you're not often getting raised on this flop and we can discount AQ somewhat because of pf. A lot of the time, you just take this down and there's not much joy trying to milk TPNK over multiple streets OOP.

So

a) we take the pot down when we have the best hand which is going to be a lot of the time.

b) we get to the turn cheaper (by 100 chips) when we're up against a better hand

c) sets and two pair will generally raise us out

It's not ideal but better than check-calling IMO, especially when our best out is so messy on this board.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Yeah I agree that it's definitely better than check-calling, I was thinking more of check-folding if anything.