Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: God\'s Warriors (CNN)

[ QUOTE ]
Those are hardly acts that required new depths of evil; merely better technology for the same old evil.

E.g., "total war" predates the OT Israeli conquest of Canaan, I don't see why you give Sherman credit for inventing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman is considered to be one of the first generals to consciously and deliberately use total war as a military strategy. Your point of improving values since 0 AD doesn't account for the devolution of values in real life.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 PM

I honestly cannot understand you at all, so I guess I'll just concede to whatever the heck it is you're saying about the evolving depravity of the human spirit. Who knows, mankind has seemed a lost cause to me since I was 10 so I rarely have much energy to argue optimism.

I just don't see how you justify your confidence that the Church hasn't progressed spiritually in 2000 years. Especially when the line between true spirituality and improperly intellectualized literalism is so easily blurred.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly cannot understand you at all, so I guess I'll just concede to whatever the heck it is you're saying about the evolving depravity of the human spirit. Who knows, mankind has seemed a lost cause to me since I was 10 so I rarely have much energy to argue optimism.

I just don't see how you justify your confidence that the Church hasn't progressed spiritually in 2000 years. Especially when the line between true spirituality and improperly intellectualized literalism is so easily blurred.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I see what you were getting out now. There is the saying "Christ yesterday, today, and tommorrow" which encapsulates the Churches view, that in terms of Spiritual perfection, we already had it when Christ was on Earth. He was the summit and always will be. The rest of us are just trying to imitate him in whatever historical circumstances we find ourselves in.

One may feel free to speculate which society or historical epoch has been most imitative of Christ thus far.