Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Bostonians.....what to do in Boston?

Personally I wish I could get Legal Seafoods clam chowder to go, take a short walk over to faneuil hall and pour it into a bread bowl.

I had Union Oyster House chowder the other day and people were split about whether it was better than Legal. Although you do get some corn bread, which makes any chili/chowder better.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM

Help me plan my trip down to Fenway.

The game is on Wed. night at 7:05 vs Oakland

What are some other things I should do while in the area. I had planned on getting to that area of the city around 2:00 so I could have time to walk around and sight see.

Are the duck rides in this part of the city?

Here is a map with a few landmarks, any suggestions of anything else around this area?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM

there is not too much around Fenway, except bars and restuarants. cool, but not where you want to be at 3pm. the Duck tours leave near the Prudential building in Back Bay, not far from where you indicate on your map. Back Bay is basically the parallel streets north of your "Back Bay" arrow.

if I had one day in Boston, I would walk the Freedom Trail, possibly skipping the Charlestown parts. this could be replaced by a Duck Tour, or you could do both. then walk down through Back Bay (Newbury Street) and then either walk down to Fenway (try Commonwealth Avenue, nice residential street) or Boylston Street (more commercial).

basically don't get to Kenmore at 2pm. walk around the Back Bay or downtown (Freedom Trail) or take a Duck tour, then get to Fenway around 6pm so you can eat/scalp tickets.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM

i agree the lack of a bread bowl at legal is disheartening. i can't wait to try union's chowder.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:57 AM

I searched for the Freedom Trail on google maps but got nothing.

What area is it in according to the map I have above?

Again THANKS for all the help.

*EDIT*
I added B and G Oysters on Tremont St to this map. Does everyone agree this is a bad ass restaurant?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I searched for the Freedom Trail on google maps but got nothing.

What area is it in according to the map I have above?

Again THANKS for all the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drew some lines to indicate the general area. it's not perfect but directionally ok. Charlestown is off this map to the northeast, I wouldn't feel bad about skipping that part of the trail

edit, here is a map web page
Old 04-19-2007, 11:06 AM

If you're a clotheshorse and rich Louis Boston is possibly the best men's clothing store on the planet.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Just a FYI, the commuter rail that you'll (most likely) take into the city stops running pretty early. It's even earlier on weekends, so be careful not to get stuck.

Commuter Rail

It will take you to North Station which is right at the top of your map. To put it into perspective, it only take about 25-30 minutes to walk from North Station at the top of that map to Fenway Park, so don't worry too much getting on another subway unless you're stuck on time.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 AM

I live right by Fenway near El Pelon too...
There's a really great Italian restaurant in that same mini-plaza called Sorento's. It's delicious and will allow you to get some quality Italian food near the game and not have to rush down from the North End (not that Boston is all that big anyway)
Old 04-19-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a FYI, the commuter rail that you'll (most likely) take into the city stops running pretty early. It's even earlier on weekends, so be careful not to get stuck.

Commuter Rail

It will take you to North Station which is right at the top of your map. To put it into perspective, it only take about 25-30 minutes to walk from North Station at the top of that map to Fenway Park, so don't worry too much getting on another subway unless you're stuck on time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.

Just to be sure I am reading that correct. The last three trains leaving from North Station to Woburn on the Lowell Line are 9:40pm, 10:40pm and 12:10am?

Also does anyone know the approx. time it takes the rail to reach Woburn from North Station?

*EDIT* Do I need to be looking at the inbound Woburn times for my trips coming back from downtown?