Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Re: The Everett/Seligman-DeWitt Solution To World Hatred

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I consider who conquered who hundreds or thousands of years ago a sunk cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

History is the great poisoner.

No, correct this : Unique history is the great poisoner.

Since, out of a myriad of myriads possible denouement, only one historical development actually did take place, we are stuck to gaze upon, fixate on and shape our sentiments around those actual, yet inherently rather chancy, eventualities.

Quantum physics might have the solution for us : MWI. The many-worlds interpretation.

We must, as soon as possible, flood our kids' minds with as many as possible historical developments leading to the current state of the world. There should be nothing left untouched on account of it being improbable or far fetched.

When we have enough MW's, the importance of one world would cease to seem so important. And we shall, perhaps, grow up a bit.

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]

I think yours is a very interesting concept and I think the MWVs idea is ultra cool in general. However, in this case, I think you may be wrong. The reason is that at the end of the day you only have one record (the currect state) and even if you could define the entire paramater set leading to this state and even if you knew the exact value of each parameter you are still in no better position. The reason being that you cannot know how the parameters interacted to lead to that state. Thus, you cannot determine the best course of action because you do not know what will happen in you change parameters X,Y, and Z. The whole model may come tumbling down.

Additionally, if you focus only on a singular problem (eg, the Palestinian problem) and understand the entire history and you can measure some of the effects of the change in variables you still may be screwed because you may "overfit the curve".

I think what you need is a tons of records with a sufficient variable set to make smart decisions. The only way to do this is to step out of the unique problem and grab from a wider bucket of info.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Self-Inflicted Injuries

[ QUOTE ]
Many Palestinians have died by ambulances being held up at checkpoints within the West Bank and prevented from getting to Palestinain medical facilities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Many Israelis have died because of Palestinians using tricks to sneak suicide bombers into Israeli land. They have even used pregnant women falsely claiming they need medical help. Based on their past trickery, the Israelis would be fools to not inspect ambulances. If your account is true then it is another example of the Palestinians reaping what they have sown....

Another self-inflicted injury... Thank you for making my point.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many Palestinians have died by ambulances being held up at checkpoints within the West Bank and prevented from getting to Palestinain medical facilities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Many Israelis have died because of Palestinians using tricks to sneak suicide bombers into Israeli land. They have even used pregnant women falsely claiming they need medical help. Based on their past trickery, the Israelis would be fools to not inspect ambulances. If your account is true then it is another example of the Palestinians reaping what they have sown....

Another self-inflicted injury... Thank you for making my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Self inflicted on both sides.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:03 PM

So you think Israel deserves to have their childrens school buses blown up?

Where did all this sympathy for Palestein come from? These [censored] have been blowing [censored] up for how many decades now? Heck I'm still not even convinced that Palestein is a real place.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think Israel deserves to have their childrens school buses blown up?

Where did all this sympathy for Palestein come from? These [censored] have been blowing [censored] up for how many decades now? Heck I'm still not even convinced that Palestein is a real place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deserves only in the sense that the problem was created by Israel and the Arabs. If you cant see the historical accuracy of the statement then we cant agree on this.

Given your choice of rhetoric -- about "deserve to ...". I would say that they deserve it about as much as the bystanders (women and children) killed when tanks move into the WB/Gaza or Apache's shoot up a house etc. Both sides have "reasons" and both sides have acted despicably, IMO.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:26 PM

Perhaps. But I believe that only one side would welcome a peacefull coexistance.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps. But I believe that only one side would welcome a peacefull coexistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. But neither side acts in a manner consistent with your statement. As poker players we know that we can only evaluate the mindset of the other based on actions not words.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Default Re: LA Times Op-ed: Islam gets concessions; infidels get conquered

[ QUOTE ]
Intentionally target civilians for killing = terrorist

[/ QUOTE ]

So Winston Churchill was a terrorist then?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Mirage

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The same cannot be said of the Palestinians living in occupied territory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which occupied territory are you referring to? The fence has been built. Isreali on one side and the Arabs on the other.

[/ QUOTE ]So you are saying that the West Bank, outside the Wall, is not occupied. All those troops are a desert illusion.

The post is indicative of your tenuous grasp of the politics and the history of the region.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Palestinians may have gotten a raw deal many decades ago but everything that happened to them after that is their own doing.

[/ QUOTE ]Wouldn't you say that the above would be a more accurate reflection of your position?