Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Granny or Grue for PRESIDENT?.
GRANNY 19 79.17%
GRUE 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Should I buy an XBox 360, or wait for PS3/Wii?

So obviously your a Nintendo fan-boy. You've repeated the same thing over and over. You guys keep criticizing the PS3 for what it is. It's a high end console unit which is more like a computer then a system. That's what it is, there's no arguing about it. If you don't like it, go ahead and buy a Wii, noone is stopping you. Nintendo for the most part has disappointed over it's last 2 consoles. Also for those that don't enjoy the Mario type games, there's no point in buying the Wii. To some Mario type games might be a blast but to others they are extremely boring.

To the OP. I'd recommend getting the Wii if you like Mario type games and new controller types and the ability to go back and play old school Nintendo games, otherwise right now I'd probally go with a 360 over the PS3. Both will offer similar type lineups for games and both systems will probally be pretty much similar to the current PS2/XBOX setups. The reason I'd lean towards the 360 over the PS3 right now is the following, both offer HD, both offer similar content, but there is a price differential (which will probally be more significant at the PS3 launch date). As others have said, Blu-Ray could be a waste and you shouldn't have to pay for the upgrade if you don't want it. There will also be a shortage of PS3s until early next year so if you can't wait the 360 is an easy option if you liked the PS2/PS3.

Now if you want the highest end technology, you want HD compatablity and you want the cheapest Blu Ray currently available, the PS3 is probally for you.

Of the 3 systems, PS3 is probally the most future proof but as the article that was posted points out you could have to replace the unit during it's supposed lifespan of 10 years (I bet it'll be around 5 to 8 but that's just me). But eventually the price will fall.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:05 AM

Another thing of note, is you'll have to buy another controller to go with the system (wii). According to the website, it's 60 bucks for another (nunchucks + standard controller). Hopefully it's less. That seems kinda high. Then again, same thing can be said for the Core 360 and maybe the PS3.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 AM

no; i've owned both ps1 and ps2 and had ps2 before gamecube

i just personally don't have the time for the types of games that ps3 will beat wii in; i prefer the multi-player games like mario kart since i'll get to play those and when i wanna play a 1-player game, it'll be zelda/mario or an fps on a computer with keyboard/mouse

the ps3 is fine for what it is, but we are saying that we don't think the argument that ps2 crushed gc so will do the same to the wii is 100% due to the huge price difference (2 wiis + 2 games for same price as base ps3 system)

i hope the ps3 does well so blu-ray becomes more supported with more titles available since it's the better technology than hd-dvd and i would love to start watching hi-def movies; i play all my video games on an hdtv, so would love for wii to be hd, but i take gameplay over graphics any day of the week
Old 09-15-2006, 11:10 AM

yeah, to play 4-player wii mario kart, i'm gonna need 4 nunchucks, which will cost quite a bit

but i'm keeping my gamecube controllers so i can use those as well, just not with wii-specific functionality
Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i like the GC controller

and that's not the point

the new thing, analog triggers on top, works very well

that's the whole point of the argument, that there have been successive new methods of controls on each new system and they've always worked fine

[/ QUOTE ]

gc didn't introduce the analog triggers so your point is mute. Also I think we can agree that there is a difference between introducing a new analog stick )or a d-pad, or choose-something-great-nintendo-helped-develop) and turning a game controller into a tv remote. Stuff like this generally fails, that's all I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a pet peeve of mine, but the term is "your point is MOOT."

"Mute" just doesn't make any sense unless you're trying to say that his point doesn't make sounds.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i like the GC controller

and that's not the point

the new thing, analog triggers on top, works very well

that's the whole point of the argument, that there have been successive new methods of controls on each new system and they've always worked fine

[/ QUOTE ]

gc didn't introduce the analog triggers so your point is mute. Also I think we can agree that there is a difference between introducing a new analog stick )or a d-pad, or choose-something-great-nintendo-helped-develop) and turning a game controller into a tv remote. Stuff like this generally fails, that's all I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a pet peeve of mine, but the term is "your point is MOOT."

"Mute" just doesn't make any sense unless you're trying to say that his point doesn't make sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty for the correction [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS: as a very poor disclaimer: english isn't my native language
Old 09-16-2006, 10:36 AM

I just got a 360. I also prefer sports games. The graphics are amazing on the 360 (with an HDTV), but gameplay still feels like xbox1/ps2. I read somewhere that games like nba2k7, nhl07, madden07 are still pretty much first generation games, and the real next-gen sports games won't be until 2008.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/20/x...17th-in-japan/

For those techies who care. 1080p will soon be available on the Xbox360. HD-DVD will only be ~200 dollars when released as an add-on for the 360. So the combined 360 + HD-DVD will be comparable to the PS3 in price. 1080p should look pretty good.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:27 AM

wtf xbox has always been a POS. look at the [censored] games. ps3 is going to the system to own. if u can onyl have 1 in that list get the ps3. if you're a 10 yr old kid, get the Wii.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a 360. I also prefer sports games. The graphics are amazing on the 360 (with an HDTV), but gameplay still feels like xbox1/ps2. I read somewhere that games like nba2k7, nhl07, madden07 are still pretty much first generation games, and the real next-gen sports games won't be until 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes all the 07 versions of these games were stripped down and don't have all the features.