Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Re: How big of a prick was I?

I doubt very much that ny son will be negatively effected by my decison to spend time with him. I can guarantee you that I coach more laid back than just about anyone. My kids don't even know the score to the game. Now if my son decides to have purple hair thats cool but chances are he would choose blue.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 PM

If there were no parents fighting or screaming obscenities in the stands or bean balls being thrown then I'd say you weren't a prick.

I coach my daughter's soccer team and I have no problem asking the referee for clarification of a call. Arguing is wrong, asking questions or pointing out the rules isn't.

BTW, I hope you went over to the ref after the game and told him he did a good job (assuming he did).

My daughter also referees soccer matches and it really makes her feel good when a coach tells her she did a good job. Believe me, she knows and feels bad when she misses a call, but not having a coach yell at her after the game is the type of reinforcement a young teen needs if they are going to succeed as a ref.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, uh, was it a wild pitch/passed ball?

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, I'm brimming with anticipation!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

It was a passed ball going to the backstop. The rule is that they can't leve the base until the ball is hit, is cought or gets by the cather. A lot of coaches have their runners go as soon as it is caught but I will not send a runner exc ept on a passed ball or wild pitch. I think it shows up the cather as most cannot through it from home to second. In fact this coach sent his first two runners on caught balls but they were both thrown out by our cather (my son by the way).
Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 PM

I really don't think you were a prick in how you handled it. Even if you end up being wrong with whether it was a live ball or not, it seems like all you did was question why a call was overturned and the other coach made it escalate. Rubbing it in his face a tad was fine and no big deal.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:12 PM

I always shake hands with the umps refs and thank them . My kids do too.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:21 PM

DD,

that is just stupid. I care less about winning than the kids do. A fact that they point out to me often.

I am teaching them the fundementals and I am making sure they have fun. I am about the farthest thing from a hypercompetitve jackass as you can get.