Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: there are racial and ethnic differences in IQ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IQ is yet another “scientific” charlatanry. In this case it’s misapplied culturally biased measurements and racist propaganda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sharkey, please don't hijack and try to disprove evolution in every thread where where it's mentioned. While it's fine in threads about whether or not evolution happened, creationism, etc. in this thread a bunch of people that pretty much believe in certain evolutionary processes (whether or not they believe in Evolution with a capital E) are discussing some of its aspects and interpretations. Most of the people are starting from a point of agreement and we are going from there in our discussion.
In threads not about creationism, ID, and evolution, pretend we're all gamers talking details about a game. The game is "Evolution" and we are discussing strategy and hand histories. Whether or not this game is applicable to the real world is not up for debate in this thread. Please humor us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Why are you bringing up evolution in an unrelated thread?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Why are you bringing up evolution in an unrelated thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm psychic.
Sorry if I offended you. Please continue.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Not offended.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they argue against this suggestion with a sort of knee-jerk reaction. I'm not suggesting anyone specifically here is doing this, but surely any intellectually honest person has to admit that there's at least enough evidence in support of such a view that it's worthy of study and consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in the other threads, I study brain evolution. That's my profession. I've been doing it for years and I can say I've probably read every peer-reviewed word on it as well as the popular science books on it. Also, many of my colleagues are cognitive scientists. This is a subject we research, study, and have meetings on.
My posts in these threads are in no way due to a "knee-jerk reaction" or political correctness (I'm to the right of most academics) but the result of years of work in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're reacting to charge I didn't level here. I said I didn't think anyone in this thread was doing that, and certainly not yourself - your posts have all been well thought out and reasonable. There was no hidden accusation there, I meant what I said as I said it. And the lefty liberal thing was primarily self-defacing/humorous - I consider myself one on the most part.

I was really just getting at the idea that this subject is so charged it's hard to objectively discuss. I'm by no means an expert in this field or claiming to be one, but I feel like if I was I'd be terrified of making any kind of public pronoucement in defence of this argument. So I have to infer that those who are in a position to do so must feel that weight also. I think much more consideration would be given to the race side of this discussion if it was a totally emotionally/socially neutral subject, like the cognitive functioning of different species of goldfish for example.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:46 PM

Sorry, it's just that I've been through this subject a few times with people that are more ignorant than you and it may have sensitized me [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2006, 06:23 PM

Here is a today's news article that may fuel the debate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chez, I know you will love this. You are better than the french! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a today's news article that may fuel the debate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chez, I know you will love this. You are better than the french! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently cambridge accounts for more nobel prizes than france and germany combined.

chez
Old 03-29-2006, 06:36 PM

It is the bloody diet. Boiled meat and overcooked vegetables must be good for you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Britons and French are stooopid. That's been accepted in most scientific circles for centuries and has no bearing on the matter at hand.

Seriously though, I doubt the differences Lynn cites are significant.
Also, we haven't heard much from him in a long time. He's coming out wiht a book? This should be interesting.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember the title of the book I read last week.

I remember one author, Phillip Rushton or Rushdon from Canada. He became a target of presecution but I liked his work. Also Jared Taylor, a clear racist. My kinda guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. You're using Taylor's work as evidence you're educated on the subject?

I'm assuming that you're talking about J.P. Rushton, specifically Race, Evolution, and Behavior: A Life History.
Many excellent critiques of this book are available with some searching.