Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Winning Player Losing Badly and Needs Advice

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not trying to be rude or anything, but going by your posts in the party regs thread and some hands you posted i always thought you seemed to have leaks and to be overly affected by bad beats and downswings in general.

i also remember you saying you only played a few tables a few times a week, if this is the case normal variance is going to seem a lot more intense as you are experiencing it in relatively slow motion, and you know it's going to take a while to win back the money you lose so it feels worse.

so my advice is to get coaching to improve your game, and also to play more hands if you are going to take poker seriously. it's pretty common that people who are affected the most by downswinging are those who log the least hands, whereas grinders can mostly play their way out of it and thus losing 10 buyins or whatever doesn't matter so much as it's just a couple of days work.

of course not everyone has the time/fortitude to be a grinder, but if you are constantly reading 2+2 and filling your thoughts with information about other people winning but then not playing much at all yourself, when variance hits you hard it is going to sting.

[/ QUOTE ]

very well said and very true
Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 AM

op, if you can't figure out why you're losing so much at 2/4, you need to stop playing 2/4 until you do. play lower, play less, and do lots of math. once you're pretty sure you've figured it out, and are confident in your solution, then hit the tables again, guns blazing. an upswing at that point will get you right back on track. running bad then? well, that happens to all of us now and again. just gotta fight the good fight.

the key is to never become satisfied with your game, and never be afraid to change.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:31 AM

I perused some of your losing hands from my DB, and it looked pretty brutal. In general, you dont like to give up pots when you know you are behind. That get's expensive. Shoving naked straight draw on the flop only gives you 6 outs. Don't open A8o in EP. Don't call a 3x reraise from a half-stack fishy with QJo. Dont min-4bet AK OOP when slightly deep, and especially do not open shove the flop when it blanks low cards. Give more respect to utg raisers. etc, etc.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like seeing how my alternative opinion will be received by other poker players. Other people enjoy it as much as I do. Plus like a lot of people on web forums I have a huge ego and enjoy being a know it all.

OP will have to look into the depths of his soul and figure out what is stopping him from winning. Only after honest self-evalution will he find the answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might have to change names if you ever want advice from this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trolls are rarely interested in advice.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 AM

Whatever leaks you plugged... I'm guessing they weren't leaks.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm on roughly a $15,000 downswing at 2/4. My account is around 13k from its peak around 28k a few months ago.

My game...Since then...Has gotten exponentially better. I explored my potential leaks and started shutting their doors left and right. I discovered (through 2+2 and experimentation) different approaches to hands and am better able to understand why they work or don't work.

I have come so far from where I was but can't even out my huge losses with wins. Either coolered or bad beat (more bad beats than coolers...I'm trying to eliminate some of those from my game too).

Someone please tell me what to do. Tonight is the best I have just about ever played and I'm down 1k (see example hand in PP thread) right now.

I can move down, but I don't see what that will do besides slowdown busto-ness. My game SHOULD be a winning one at 400 (and likely is by other players, just not me). I'm not crazy or (exceptionally) full of myself.

So to reiterate, PLEASE HELP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider you another midly competent regular. The last thing I would do is help you become a better player. I hope you lose the rest. It's how we make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't get why people would help their enemies? Any player who sits down at the table to take my money is fair game. If you wanna succeed in poker, you have to be as ruthless as me. Anyone worth their salt will not be giving this guy advice to improve his game. If anything, they will mess with his head by giving terrible advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, what a [censored].
Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 AM

the [censored] is d1ckhead.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:55 AM

sn on party op ?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sn on party op ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trolls are rarely interested in advice.

[/ QUOTE ]qft. I cannot comprehend how he's not banned yet, all he does is troll to incite hatred.