Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Small pp\'s in FR

Renton, in your experience, what percentage of winning NL400/NL600 regulars raise small PPs UTG?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM

I think this argument is rather obtuse. NL cash is not a 'science' like limit holdem. How you play each hand depends on your particular style, game composition, stack sizes, table image. HOW you play the hand in any of the infinite scenarios after limping/raising a pair in EP determines how profitable you will be.

Generally at 50nl/100nl I often fold 22-55 in EP, limp 66-99, raise TT-AA. In mid to late position, I will open raise any pair, and if there are one or two limpers, I will often repop it healthily from the button with any pair.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this argument is rather obtuse. NL cash is not a 'science' like limit holdem. How you play each hand depends on your particular style, game composition, stack sizes, table image. HOW you play the hand in any of the infinite scenarios after limping/raising a pair in EP determines how profitable you will be.

Generally at 50nl/100nl I often fold 22-55 in EP, limp 66-99, raise TT-AA. In mid to late position, I will open raise any pair, and if there are one or two limpers, I will often repop it healthily from the button with any pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to what your reasoning is for this being your preflop strategy. If you see no-limit and limit as so different, then why did you just post what seemed to be general advice for a limit game?

All the authors who's books I've read suggest a general rule of limping with all small pairs, even from up front. What reasons do you have for straying from this conventional rule? Unless the cap in the online games is low, it seems to me that this general rule would be most pertinent to online 100nl. This is speculation, because I haven't played online, but have heard that 100nl plays a lot like 2/5 and 5/10 live.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 PM

i just dont find set mining OOP to be that profitable at low stakes, and i dont like getting into a 3-5 player flop with a set of 2s, 3s, 4s all that much. I find when you limp in ep , it encourages a many-player flop, often times other set miners, or people playing suited connectors. This has led to me many times losing set over set for a whole stack, or getting it in against a combo draw and getting stacked. Also, with higher pairs on 2-3 player flops, I feel better about making moves at an undercard flop or undercard/one over flop.
I am not arguing limping/raising small pairs from any position, but only at higher stakes. At stakes where its mostly donks and set miners I just haven't found it to be profitable.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Raise every PP, sometimes limp 22-66 UTG if the table is passive.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is profit in your agressive table immage what will make you profit from when you have a premium hand but I dont see much profit in raising 22 in EP.
So are you (gregor for example) giving up value from your sets and pps to make more on other hands or do you think you make a max profit from your pps by betting them pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's both in my mind. I raise with them because it increases the pot size for that specific hand when I do hit my set versus someone's overpair for example, and I raise with them as part of an overall strategy/image building/deception for other hands. Of course this is all very fluid based on my current image at the time, my villians, and stack sizes.

EDIT... and FWIW, I play 100NL, 200NL, but that's going to drop as far as online play. Going to get most of BR out until this US reg crap dust settles.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Like just about everything else in poker, the correct answer as to how to play small pp in early position is "it depends."

If you're playing at a weak passive table, then raising is probably the best option, as you'll usually be playing hu or 3way on the flop and your CB's will be more effective. If you're playing at a maniacal table where basically every pot is raised preflop, then limp-calling might be the best play. If there are a couple aggro/tilting short stacks left to act behind you, then folding small pp's may be the most profitable decision.

There's a reason it's a lot harder to play hands from early position. In middle position, I'm pretty much auto raising any pp if no one has entered the pot, and usually overlimping small pp's if there are limpers in front. If someone raises in front of me, then I have to make a decision whether to call with my small pp based on the raiser's stack size, and the stack sizes of the players left to act behind me, and how likely it is any of them will reraise.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like just about everything else in poker, the correct answer as to how to play small pp in early position is "it depends."

If you're playing at a weak passive table, then raising is probably the best option, as you'll usually be playing hu or 3way on the flop and your CB's will be more effective. If you're playing at a maniacal table where basically every pot is raised preflop, then limp-calling might be the best play. If there are a couple aggro/tilting short stacks left to act behind you, then folding small pp's may be the most profitable decision.

There's a reason it's a lot harder to play hands from early position. In middle position, I'm pretty much auto raising any pp if no one has entered the pot, and usually overlimping small pp's if there are limpers in front. If someone raises in front of me, then I have to make a decision whether to call with my small pp based on the raiser's stack size, and the stack sizes of the players left to act behind me, and how likely it is any of them will reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best response to this thread yet.