Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: UFC 75 -- is it live on Spike?

[ QUOTE ]
All,

There are reports that Cro Cop broke a rib during the first round. May explain his poor 2nd and 3rd round performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was affected by getting kneed in the groin repeatedly, but that explanation works as well. I thought Kongo should have had a point deducted.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Cro Cop also said the multiple groin hits zapped a lot of his stamina.

I was surprised CK didn't get a point deduction as well.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jackson won an unimpressive fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cro Cop also said the multiple groin hits zapped a lot of his stamina.

I was surprised CK didn't get a point deduction as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was in Zagreb Croatia, and the locals loveee to talk up cro-cop- he's a national hero over there. I missed everything after the first round of the Kongo fight since i was walking from the trop to the showboat at that time (not recommended), i was hoping Mirko would take it down.

also- i'm super pumped that fedor may come over and flatten couture.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jackson won an unimpressive fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh there were some good moments, and Jackson looked pretty good with his reversals, but I was drunk at a bar and wanted to see a decisive victory (knock-out or tap-out). I couldn't hear the post-fight interview, what was said?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:12 AM

Just watched this fight and it's even closer than I originally thought. A few things I noticed:

- Hamill had two takedowns in each round. Unfortunately, he did absolutely nothing with them. If you're going to (correctly) give credit to Hamill for a takedown, then you have to reward Bisping for escaping and getting to his feet each time with little to no damage.

- People who say that Bisping wasn't active or aggressive on his feet are way off.

- Hamill threw a lot of strikes that missed.

Some things that I think contributed to it appearing that Hamill dominated the fight.

- The camera angle. Bisping constantly circled around, which led to the fight mostly being viewed from behind Hamill's back. This diminished the impact of Bisping's striking.

- The "De La Hoya/Mayweather Jr." effect. Hamill threw a lot of shots that didn't land, which wasn't clear the first time you watch the fight.

- The announcing. Rogan constantly remarked at how strong Hamill was and how he had heavy hands, etc. while saying things like Bisping "looks tentative." This definitely swayed my feelings live.

I'm not going to say Bisping definitively took this fight. But I am going to say that Hamill didn't either. I think this fight is a great example of the scoring of a fight being heavily dependent on the bias's of the judges. While it wouldn't necessarily make this fight any easier to judge, the Pride criteria was far superior for a 3 round MMA fight.

Also, I don't want to sound like I'm downplaying Hamill in this fight. He definitely was effective when he got Bisping in the headlock and threw short uppercuts and he landed a handful of pretty solid punches. Any of the three available decision (Bisping, Hamill, or draw) could be defended here.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 AM

Muresan,

You really have to find the post fight interview. Words can't do it justice. He's off the hook.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 AM

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=638092

Joe Rogan's take on Bisping/Hamill.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Good analysis, Mikey. I initially thought Hamil was robbed too, but I was surprised that Sherdog also scored a 29-28 victory for Bisping. What's up with the one judge scoring it 30-27 Hamil?

I was a big fan of Bisping but not anymore. I really thought he would destroy Hamil but instead he backed up the whole fight. I was rooting for Hamil after the first few minutes because of his confident, risky approach to the fight. I thought Hamil would just fight a lay-and-pray fight. Plus Bisping's post-fight celebration was laughable.

Did anyone notice Hamil quickly look to the ref w/ 10 seconds left in the fight just before he took that big kick from Bisping? I thought he did it because he thought the round was over. It would be a shame if that cost him the decision in such a close fight.

Does anybody think fights should be longer than 3 rounds? Conditioning doesn't seem to be a problem anymore for the best fighters, and 3 rounds seems too short to determine the better fighter.