Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Should I get allergy shots?

We got a permanent HEPA air purifier. We already had a HEPA vacuum cleaner and I vacuum 2-3 times per week. When we buy a house, we're getting hardwood floors instead of carpet. My allergies are pretty much under control so long as I take my meds. My asthma does not appear to be allergy related. I am not getting rid of the cats. I have had cats all of my life and I have only been allergic to them a short while. It has gotten worse the more cats we get. One cat in particular likes to sleep on our faces at night, so we have allergy pillows and bedding to protect the bed from him. Also, I get the allergy cat wipes to wipe the cats down. I should do that more often. And I am careful to wash my hands after petting the cats. I am not allergic to dogs, yet. I still plan to get a dog. The allergies are totally bearable. It's only when I don't take my meds that I am miserable.

OK, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of immunotherapy. It's retraining my body, telling it not to confuse harmless things from dangerous things. And the stuff I've read suggests that immunotherapy is particularly effective for my kinds of allergies: cats and plants. The doctor is gung-ho and says he'll make me normal again. And no, I don't have to schedule the shots, I just show up during certain hours and they administer my special mix of allergens. I was mostly just getting nervous about all the shots. I have no problem donating blood every 8 weeks but a shot every week sounds horrible. However, these shots sound like they don't hurt much.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We got a permanent HEPA air purifier. We already had a HEPA vacuum cleaner and I vacuum 2-3 times per week. When we buy a house, we're getting hardwood floors instead of carpet. My allergies are pretty much under control so long as I take my meds. My asthma does not appear to be allergy related. I am not getting rid of the cats. I have had cats all of my life and I have only been allergic to them a short while. It has gotten worse the more cats we get. One cat in particular likes to sleep on our faces at night, so we have allergy pillows and bedding to protect the bed from him. Also, I get the allergy cat wipes to wipe the cats down. I should do that more often. And I am careful to wash my hands after petting the cats. I am not allergic to dogs, yet. I still plan to get a dog. The allergies are totally bearable. It's only when I don't take my meds that I am miserable.

OK, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of immunotherapy. It's retraining my body, telling it not to confuse harmless things from dangerous things. And the stuff I've read suggests that immunotherapy is particularly effective for my kinds of allergies: cats and plants. The doctor is gung-ho and says he'll make me normal again. And no, I don't have to schedule the shots, I just show up during certain hours and they administer my special mix of allergens. I was mostly just getting nervous about all the shots. I have no problem donating blood every 8 weeks but a shot every week sounds horrible. However, these shots sound like they don't hurt much.

[/ QUOTE ]

(a) Make Edward do the vacuuming and cat
grooming/sanitation chores.

(b) I give myself two shots a day, and at first I thought it would be pretty awful, but it's really no big deal.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ionic Breeze is a sham. If you have indoor allergens, get a regular HEPA filter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weird. Maybe it was just the chemo coming out of my system? I'm clueless.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way of knowing for sure. It's always difficult to get out of the A came before B, so A made B happen, way of thinking. Symptoms tend to wax and wane, and you tend to do something about them when they are at their worst. Since they are at their worst, they must get better, no matter what you do. This doesn't mean that your intervention wasn't helpful, but it doesn't prove that it was. This is why anecdotal evidence is so poor. The Consumer Reports studies, which measured levels of allergens before and after using various filters proved that the ionic breeze (very expensive and fancy) did a worse job than the HEPA filters (much cheaper, no sexy technology) in removing known allergens from the air.

Glad you are feeling better.

Also, Elaine, go for the allergy shots. You have little to lose. You know your triggers well, are doing your best to minimize them, and are still dependent on medications. Your asthma (which I am more concerned about in general - noone dies of hayfever) sounds pretty well controlled. Maybe the shots will work for you.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:10 AM

I do allergy shots and I would say that they are a life saver. I have never really been a fan of the way most allergy meds make me feel and I don't really like the idea of regular drug use when I can do something to solve the problem instead of just treating/suppressing the symptoms.

I personally do the allergy shots myself instead of going to the doctor. I would highly recommend finding an allergy doctor that will let you do this. It may seem scary at first but it is extremely easy and painless, and much more convenient. Of course when I first started I had to go to the doctor, but after a few weeks they showed me how to do it and sent me home with the stuff. I think a big part of the reason a lot of people don't follow through with their shots is because of the inconvenience of the doctors visits.

Another thing you should check out is Jala Neti. At one point my allergy doctor recommended that I use a bulb syringe to shoot salt water up my nose to help deal with excess mucus, etc... This didn't really work all that well but while doing some research on the topic I discovered Jala Neti. It is basically the Yoga method for cleaning out your sinuses and it does wonders for my allergies. It has also allowed me to scuba dive which I wouldn't be able to do otherwise due to sinus problems from my allergies. Check it out: http://www.jalanetipot.com/ I know it may seem weird at first, but just like the allergy shots once you get used to it it can be very helpful and not at all uncomfortable. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

~Jess