Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Re: I hate money

You're not playing 25nl here where every idiot insta calls with KK and AA because they have KK/AA. You're playing a slightly more sophisticated opponent. Almost all of them can't call here without a read.

If they have a big read on you and the balls to call, and you bluff... then GG to you but nice hand anyways.

That being said, if YOU have a read he has an overpair and you dont think you can get him off the pot, then checking behind here is very strong.

Thats about the only position in this hand that checking behind is good. If you think you can get him off the hand, [censored] move him off the hand. Inspire some doubt in his mind and let his emotions take hold.

Watch the pot go your way.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. What I was trying to get at is that even though your initial reaction is that "hmm... something isn't quite right", you'll have a very hard time calling because why couldn't this just as well be a boat that failed to extract enough money eariler and now wants to get max value?

[/ QUOTE ]
The turn underbet/river overbet combo is one weak players often use for their strong hands (I see it most often with turned nut flushes waiting to make sure the board doesn't pair on the river). The people who do it do it all the time and are easy to read. If somebody does it to me that I don't know and I have reasonable showdown value (as KK would have on this board for example), I am more likely to call it and see what this guy has. It may not be a +EV call in the vacuum of one hand but it allows me to save a fortune on future river overbets. If it turns out they've got nothing (or an underpair [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ), I've got a read of this as a possible bluffing line for future reference.

[ QUOTE ]
And while I probably should have bet more on the turn, I don't see why it's so unbelieveable I really have AJ+?

[/ QUOTE ]
As I said, the combination of turn and river bet sizing is suspicious. That doesn't mean you CAN'T have AJ, just that its not as believable as if you'd bet the turn harder and/or made a smaller river bet. I've taken lines like this with AJ and gotten called by overpairs specifically because it looks so suspicious. Its a pretty good board to do something suspicious on because its easy to look like you're FOS to a thinking opponent. There are not many people in my current game that I give enough credit to to try this.

[ QUOTE ]
If I really held 99 here what would you think of the river push? Would you say "nice extraction, he'll definitly looks you up with overpairs (his most likely hand), because this looks like a bluff"?

EDIT: BTW, I doubt I would have pulled this bluff had the flop been 2-suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really held 99, I'd say it was not a bad spot for a river overbet because the overall line still doesn't add up. My comments have not been related much at all to your actual holding; more to what your bets look like to your opponent (or what they look like to me sitting in his shoes). I don't like the size of your turn bet regardless of your holding and generally think your turn/river line is more credible if you bet the turn harder and then about 2/3 pot on the river.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Results?

PLZ

(70 % chance villan folded imo)
Old 04-07-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Results?

allin,

i played a hand against a buddy who's somewhat familiar with me. i raised the turn with top pair no kicker and he called. i thought i was behind. i then pushed the river to make him fold a better hand. (it was around a pot-sized bet which had now ballooned) he went into the tank and called with an underpair thinking i was bluffing a busted draw. there's a chance you're bluffing with the best hand....maybe. but with the nine out there, there's no hand that can fade that river bet that seriously wouldn't consider you're FOS.

next time, consider checking turn and raising his river block bet. it'll be cheaper and works enough times to get overpair to fold.

if he folded i think you got lucky. but that's just coming from me who'll put in a lot of money to attack weakness.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Nice post.