Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Re: NHL, Toronto\'s Darcy Tucker is a \"Joke\"

[ QUOTE ]
You do know that Hasek, Volchenkov, Redden, Chara, and Phillips are injured, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Alfredsson played last night while being very sick with the flu. He'd missed the game before, and was very weak last night. He took a hooking penalty at one point (which resulted in a Buffalo PP goal) in the game because he was too slow on his feet due to fatigue.

Also don't forget that Ottawa has been without Havlat since November. He's expected to be back in time for the playoffs, which will give Ottawa another scoring threat on the second line.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Buffalo has injuries - none that compare to having your top 4 defensemen and top goaltender out. Ottawa is the only team in the league that can play .500 hockey in that situation.

I agree Mantooth, I was about to start an NHL playoffs thread when these appeared on the board. All the NHL fans seem to be scared of being mocked by the 'I hate the NHL, let's have 100 post threads on Red Sox waiver moves' crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hecht being out sucks, but I agree. The Sabres will never be able to beat the Sens 4 out of 7 times unless Miller and Biron get their acts together. I was glad they won yesterday, but I would've rather it been 2-1 than 5-4. The Sabres' GAA vs Ott has got to be over 5.

Of course, if someone were to beat the Sens early...then we might be in business. I think the Sabres can beat anyone else in the EC when they have the Hecht-Dumont-Briere line out there and get decent defense. Unfortunately, that is depedent on Teppo coming back at full strength and either Miller or Biron getting their act together. But hey, I can dream, right?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, that is depedent on Teppo coming back at full strength and either Miller or Biron getting their act together. But hey, I can dream, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Miller gets his act together and Buffalo manages to get a solid consistent defense infront of him, he will be one of the top 3 goalies in the league. In a few years I will not be surprised if he is the best goalie in the league.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:12 PM

To me, Buffalo's year is next year, though as I look a lot of their major players are unrestricted free agents. Still, I think they can let go of Dumont, Connolly, and even Hecht and still have a solid lineup - Roy, Briere, Afinogenov, Kotalik, Vanek, Drury, Pominville is still an excellent top 7 forwards.

Miller will improve. They can get some defensive help. Ottawa OTOH will not be as good next season - they have some serious salary cap issues upcoming and one of Redden or Chara is gone. It would be a serious coup if Buffalo could pick up one of these defenders along with retaining many of their key scorers. I don't know how much Golisano is willing to spend, but if he spends this team up to the cap next year, they could be the top team in the Northeast for sure.

I still see Buffalo as one and done this year, though they have the capability to make the ECF - so does every team in the Conference, which is what makes this season so great.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 PM

Buffalo won't lose Connolly or Hecht, they have been far too valuable. The dead weight is Dumont and Kotalik, they float far too often. They are finally getting their "playoff grind line" healthy and man that really added a physical edge to their game that's been missing(Gaustad/Mair/Peters). They remind me of the Wayne Primeau/Erik Rasmussen/Vaclav Varada line from the 99 run. No talent bangers that cause havoc.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
missing(Gaustad/Mair/Peters). They remind me of the Wayne Primeau/Erik Rasmussen/Vaclav Varada line from the 99 run. No talent bangers that cause havoc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt Peters dresses for a playoff game.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 PM

If he plays like he's playing, they could keep him in. But someone has to go when Hecht comes back. Just fill in Grier on that line, but I doubt Lindy will split Drury and Grier up, even if they don't produce much.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:25 PM

Sweet the game is on the local Philly UPN channel tonight - just have to put up with pathetic homer announcers.