Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Live hand vs. Steve Dannenman - Update

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are way overestimating his calling range. You really think he calls your push with 22 or AT?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is getting 4-3 pot odds and this is a classic steal/resteal situation. I think calling with 22 or AT is not a bad play. You probably are above the 43% you need versus the reraiser/restealer's range.

One of the problems with flat calling is that if you push AJ+ is going to call you and you have it crushed. If you flat call, 53s would fold to a push, but how much action are you going to get. Even if 53s cbets, it will probably fold to the checkraise. You may get action if 53s makes a pair, but you will definately get action if it can beat AA or has a draw.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Oh, I agree with you. I do not like a flat call here at all just to try to squeeze a cbet out of SD.

My only point is that I don't think there is any way in hell that AT or 22 call unless SD has seen you restealing, thinks your LAG, and/or has some other type of read on you.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:09 AM

I think calling with 22 would be a terrible play, and calling with AT pretty bad.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:13 AM

I think the problem is that betgo is looking through SD's eyes and seeing himself in the BB, restealing with 33% of possible hands. Even in that case, 22 is a 55-45ish dog to that range of hands. With the pot odds you are somewhere around calling a coinflip for most of your chips. Reads are crucial here, but if I am SD I will give credit for a decent hand unless I have seen Hero getting out of line or have some other read. But even I have seen Hero getting a little out of line I am not calling here with friggin' 22.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I agree with you. I do not like a flat call here at all just to try to squeeze a cbet out of SD.

My only point is that I don't think there is any way in hell that AT or 22 call unless SD has seen you restealing, thinks your LAG, and/or has some other type of read on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I reraise, AT and 22 call. I think you have to assume there is a good chance of a resteal in this situation, unless you have a read to the contrary. With 22, if it is 2-1 BB has overcards versus a pp, calling is cEV+. With AT, you could be dominated, but you dominate Ax and are ahead of anything else but pps, which you are slightly behind. I think you are getting about 43% with AT also.

22 and AT are borderline. Say the range is ATs+, AJo+, KQs, 88+.

This is late position raise versus BB reraise. SD is a good player, so I assume his calling range is wide. Even if a call is slightly cEV-, you don't want people restealing. I remember the post about the hand from a 2-table step 5 where Gigabet raised from the button and called a BB push with KJ.

It depends on the player. I have gotten called by all sorts of crap in this situation late in online $5-$30 rebuys where there are a lot of maniac types. Some player at this stage of the tournament are weak/tight and will fold a lot of hands. I think the range I gave is fairly accurate for SD.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem is that betgo is looking through SD's eyes and seeing himself in the BB, restealing with 33% of possible hands. Even in that case, 22 is a 55-45ish dog to that range of hands. With the pot odds you are somewhere around calling a coinflip for most of your chips. Reads are crucial here, but if I am SD I will give credit for a decent hand unless I have seen Hero getting out of line or have some other read. But even I have seen Hero getting a little out of line I am not calling here with friggin' 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has a tight image, which probably indicates terrible play at the this stage of a live tournament, sohe may have trouble getting action for AA. Given hero's image, DN probably needs a real raising hand to call.

When the tight player makes a small reraise in this situation, it is time to say "just kidding" and fold whatever you have.