Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Where do you download music?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MIRC and nothing will EVER come close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

NNTP is far far far superior to IRC for downloading

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?
I can DL full albums at 500kbs, are you saying you get a faster speed with NNTP?

What makes NNTP something better than IRC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I download full albums at max bandwidth 99% of the time, no having to find "good" dcc people. The quality of the stuff posted on nntp is occasionally better, it's easier to find harder to find things on nntp, and it's easier to use for me. It's also a better source for movies and stuff than irc is.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AllOfMp3.com is amazing! No digital rights management [censored], and the pricing is approximately 95% cheaper than iTunes and similar stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just downloaded a sample here and am in shock at how poor the sound quality is.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KK,

Without priviledges, you will not regularly get those speeds on irc, at least when the queue waits are factored in. NNTP will give you very high transfers but will be capped by the 3rd party from which you buy access (wait you didn't think your isp would give you the files?)

J

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that NNTP is the only way to go. Pay $10/mo for premium access from somebody other than your ISP and you can achieve guaranteed max speed for your connection. Couple that with an indexing site like newzbin, and there is no reason to use anything else for anything, ever, as far as file downloading is concerned. I use newsgroups primarily for downloading HD content (where each post is like 15gb), but whenever I need an album its always there.

NOT TO MENTION that as things are currently set up its pretty much impossible to get into legal trouble for downloading on newsgroups. P2P "file-sharing" is a thing of the past.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:19 AM

joker,

They don't stream much more than 56kb, it should be obvious why.

pr0,

Most corps will block nntp. So it is understood by all, you are accountable for what you d/l.

What was it Larry Ellison said, something about you have no privacy? Yeah that's it.

J
Old 03-11-2006, 03:24 AM

corps? what, are you downloading from the workplace or something? shame on you, they should fire your ass.

by not being caught i am referring to those downloading on an internet connection that they pay for. the only people that have been sued for DLing have been caught by RIAA spies observing on ka.zaa-type networks. nobody can "observe" you downloading from NNTP. to catch you, the RIAA would have to file a subpoena against you (and your nntp provider) specifically, but there's no way they would know who to do this on since they can't monitor nntp downloads. and you can't just file a blanket subpoena against an nntp provider for "anybody who might be downloading illegal stuff." get it?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:59 AM

I pay $0 a month.
99% of my downloads come from bots who are able to transfer me files at high speeds.
I still dont see why NNTP is better...
Closed Thread