Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Leinart deserves better...

[ QUOTE ]
Leinart deserves better...

[/ QUOTE ]

Karma for whining like a bitch after the Rose Bowl last year.

Needle77 - In your explanation, why is Leinart at fault? If the tackle is always blocking left or looking for a blitzer, wouldn't Edge always be responsible for the DE?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Needle77 - In your explanation, why is Leinart at fault? If the tackle is always blocking left or looking for a blitzer, wouldn't Edge always be responsible for the DE?

[/ QUOTE ]

He would. But the thing is Edge was either lined up incorrectly or was following the original play call. In the NFL, and college for the most part, the line makes anywhere from 2-6 calls at the line. The QB listens to all of them then adjusts accordingly. He needed to tell Edge the line was treating the play as a true 3 step drop instead of a peeling Right Tackle on the End. Edge seemed to think the RT checked to an island block(solo on DE).

So yeah, technically Edge is wrong there but its Leinert's responsibilty to make sure that everyone hears the check off's and such. Thats why I put the blame on Leinert, its a simple turn around and just like in baseball, open mouth or closed mouth. Open ususally means block inside, closed means block out.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've been doing alot of data snooping lately and it appears that yards per play, irrelavant of through the ground or air, is the most explanatory factor in both points for and wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the whole point of the game is to conquer teritory so that should come as no suprise. The only other offensive factor worth mentioning in a basic analysis is turnovers.

For what it's worth i think "(Yards - 50*turnovers)/plays" is a very good approximation of a football teams offence.

/Bjorn

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...I've been looking at thing from a predictive standpoint
(working out a basic index for totals betting)

turnovers appear to be quite unpredictable

I think I'm going to run an autoregressive of one or two previous datapoints just to be sure that turnovers pretty much follow random noise.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He would. But the thing is Edge was either lined up incorrectly or was following the original play call. In the NFL, and college for the most part, the line makes anywhere from 2-6 calls at the line. The QB listens to all of them then adjusts accordingly. He needed to tell Edge the line was treating the play as a true 3 step drop instead of a peeling Right Tackle on the End. Edge seemed to think the RT checked to an island block(solo on DE).

So yeah, technically Edge is wrong there but its Leinert's responsibilty to make sure that everyone hears the check off's and such. Thats why I put the blame on Leinert, its a simple turn around and just like in baseball, open mouth or closed mouth. Open ususally means block inside, closed means block out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leinert audibled into that play and said he screwed up and didnt tell Edge he was lined up wrong prior to the start of the play, though technically Edge should have known where he was supposed to be
Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Leinert audibled into that play and said he screwed up and didnt tell Edge he was lined up wrong prior to the start of the play, though technically Edge should have known where he was supposed to be

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank You. Now I feel dumb. Ha, still O-line play is exciting isn't it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2006, 04:07 PM

So much for being the second coming of Joe Montana. Leinart played like a rookie yesterday.