Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Whats Moneymakers situation?

[ QUOTE ]
When anyone questions my knowledge in the area of accounting or taxation, I guaranty that it will be on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Accountants are such badasses. LMAO
Old 09-03-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am much more informed than you know. You should do a little bit of research on the poster before you make ignorant claims. I live in the house of the informed on this topic. It is well known on these boards that I am a CPA and have been responding as such from my first post here.

My pay raise when I got licensed was $2500 and that was almost 6 years ago. At the end of that year, I was also promoted, solely on the basis of attaining my license, which is also the industry standard in my area. I can also guaranty you that I made more money than the non-CPAs at my level of the firm, since we do talk about those things.

I didn't say that he couldn't get a job at a Big 4 firm because they will take anybody with a degree at this point since all accounting firms are desperate for bodies. However, I stand by my claim that PWC would pay me substantially more than they would pay Moneymaker.

Please feel free to correct my "uniformed" opinion of the industry in which I work.

Some additional facts for you: the CPA license can be acquired after 1 year of audit work. It took me 1.5 years to have all of my time percentages work. The 1 year requirement requires a 5 year degree in NY. Some states required only the exam to be passed as recently as 10 years ago, but most have added the 5 years of education requirement, in addition to service requirements.

Let me know if you would like some additional lessons in how the accounting profession works today. Also, feel free to check my posts on taxation for accuracy, since you seem to know so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a tax nerd, that explains it. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am much more informed than you know. You should do a little bit of research on the poster before you make ignorant claims. I live in the house of the informed on this topic. It is well known on these boards that I am a CPA and have been responding as such from my first post here.

My pay raise when I got licensed was $2500 and that was almost 6 years ago. At the end of that year, I was also promoted, solely on the basis of attaining my license, which is also the industry standard in my area. I can also guaranty you that I made more money than the non-CPAs at my level of the firm, since we do talk about those things.

I didn't say that he couldn't get a job at a Big 4 firm because they will take anybody with a degree at this point since all accounting firms are desperate for bodies. However, I stand by my claim that PWC would pay me substantially more than they would pay Moneymaker.

Please feel free to correct my "uniformed" opinion of the industry in which I work.

Some additional facts for you: the CPA license can be acquired after 1 year of audit work. It took me 1.5 years to have all of my time percentages work. The 1 year requirement requires a 5 year degree in NY. Some states required only the exam to be passed as recently as 10 years ago, but most have added the 5 years of education requirement, in addition to service requirements.

Let me know if you would like some additional lessons in how the accounting profession works today. Also, feel free to check my posts on taxation for accuracy, since you seem to know so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a tax nerd, that explains it. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

And one more thing, since CPA license are state sanctioned, the requirements depend on which state you live in. In Georgia, it's 2 years if you work in public accounting.

Either way, the difference is not worth discussing. I'm a CPA myself and worked in public accounting up until, oh, about 3 weeks ago. I think I know how it works.

Unless you're a partner or senior manager, no one is making "significantly" more than anyone else, especially on the tax side.

So you're a senior without a CPA license, you may make $75k. With a CPA license, you may make $80k. Either way you don't make jack, so who cares.

I've worked for 3 firms and none gave a rip if you were a CPA or not. You don't have to be a CPA unless you are going to sign a report or tax return.

We all know passing the CPA doesn't prove a damn thing and most good firms realize that.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:31 PM

I cant believe Greg's posted in here twice the case must be really slow, grind it out Greg you'll need to prove Danny wrong to get my support back, I hope you are right with what you are doing.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Varkonyi still buys in directly to the main events and who knows what other pure gambles he takes (I doubt he's +EV in those).

[/ QUOTE ]

Varkonyi hardly ever seems to play anymore. I only see his name in the ME and big AC tournies.

[/ QUOTE ]I know. I was saying he buys directly into the wsop main events which, I consider pretty -ev for how much poker he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you underestimate how fishy the Main Event is.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:52 PM

Would you two battling accountants please give it a rest or take it to an accounting forum before I and everyone else on here dozes off? Thank you.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point was that he was not a CPA and therefore could not go back to a good paying job. I was pointing out the fact that this could be proven with some simple research. I never made any statement about him as a person or any of his qualities.

Please crawl back into your hole now with your pointless post.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't think Chris was making decent money as an "accountant"? Apparently you don't know how it works. Let me explain. I use to work for Arthur Andersen, then another firm after that. I also went to high school and college with Money.

When Arthur Andersen (or any other firm like Chris worked for) hires someone out of school, that person is not a CPA. That person still makes good money. It takes several years to get your CPA license. Some people do it faster than others, but the min is 2 years.

You know how much more a CPA vs a non-cpa at a big 4 accounting firm makes? ZERO. You know how much of a bonus you get for passing the CPA exam? About $1,000.

So my point is the your point about him not being able to go back to a "good paying job" because he's not a CPA is ignorant, quite frankly. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. You obviously don't know the business at all. Price Waterhouse would hire Chris tomorrow if he wanted to work there.

You can now climb back in your completely uniformed hole.

As you can tell, smartasses that come on the board and act like they know what they're talking about when they OBVIOUSLY don't, pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

I'm a CA in Canada (same as CPA in US) and there is a huge difference between a non CA and a CA. Average CA in Canada is making nearly 200K a year with partners making 300K+. When you are articling you make [censored]...like 35K a year and work 2500+ hours a year. Once designated you should be at 60-65K and 100K after 5 years of being designated should be possible. At least in Canada the market for designated accountants is very strong. I would be very surprised if things were different in the U.S. Also some dude mentioned that you could be a manager without a CPA in the U.S....this is definitely not possible in Canada. Without a designation you will be doing bank recs the rest of your career if you stay in public.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're a senior without a CPA license, you may make $75k. With a CPA license, you may make $80k. Either way you don't make jack, so who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please hire me, and don't pay me jack.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! $80K over 3 weeks? That's only $920,000 less than aba made in a month.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who?

[ QUOTE ]
You are awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks!

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

I loled.
Also, since when did greg say anything about making the most? All he did was defend the reps of the recent wsop champions when people questioned if they were good. Lay off dude.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for advancing the dialogue with pithy and inciteful commentary. My comment was in response to a personal attack on me by another poster, unlike yours. I would expect better from ones of the mods of the boards here.

[/ QUOTE ]

WAAAAAAAHHH