Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Whats Moneymakers situation? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=202495)

PokerPaul 09-02-2006 01:22 PM

Whats Moneymakers situation?

played him in $50 HU match on stars for fun cuz i saw him sitting there.

Very nice guy..answered all my quesiotns politely and asked some him self.

was surprised to see him playing at these lower limits so i asked him about his stars sponsership, cuz i thought they pay for all his tourney circuit buyins.

He said he doesnt play the circuit, and doesnt know the next time he will play one or travel.

Maybe his playing the lo limits at stars is a requirement of his deal to put in appearances at those tables, but he was playing 3 tables all $50 buyins or 5/10 limit.

He was also saying that playing those circuit events is very tough...very tough to make it.

i like the guy, hes a good person, but i hope he hasnt hit bottom again, unlike the way they portray him in those commercials driving an aston martin.

Colonel Kataffy 09-02-2006 01:45 PM

Re: Whats Moneymakers situation?

Perhaps he's one of the few smart tournament winners that doesn't think he's suddenly qualified to play in the biggest game going.

xorbie 09-02-2006 02:11 PM

i think he probably knows he isnt very good. from what i understand he makes a decent amount of $ doing commercials and what not. i'd say he's doing alright.

matt777 09-02-2006 02:42 PM

I doubt he'll ever be broke. Even if he completely runs of out of money from poker he can still go back to being a CPA.

Violent Bill 09-02-2006 02:54 PM

there's no way that playing 50 dollar tourneys is ever going to compare to the amount of money he could make doing just an appearance/endorsement or two a month. he's probably just messing around and having fun.

rothko 09-02-2006 02:59 PM

he's making a ton o' cash off of poker.

duh

cbloom 09-02-2006 03:41 PM

Oddly enough, almost all the ME winners recently have been smart money managers who don't waste their winnings gambling - Varkonyi, Moneymaker, Raymer, Hachem, all keep the cash in the vault. Not like the WPT winners...

broiler 09-02-2006 03:59 PM

Moneymaker was never a CPA, he was just an accountant. There is a huge difference because a CPA can make good money, while a regular accountant that hasn't been working in the field for a few years cannot. Moneymaker was just a staff accountant at the time of his win.

I don't know where the idea that he was ever a CPA has come from. You aren't the first person to repeat the statement that he was a CPA at the time of his win. A search of the TN registry for CPAs shows that he was never licensed as a CPA in that state. The only reason that I ever checked was to settle a bet with a friend who had stated that Moneymaker was a CPA at the time of his win.

kumarshah 09-02-2006 04:20 PM

I think he plays at limits he beleives he can beat and not jump to 200/400 and go broke.

Saw him playing 3/6 Short Handed some days ago.

Fossilman is playing 30/60 Omaha H/L at the moment [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Clowny 09-02-2006 04:23 PM

I've read posts from others on 2+2 that say he is good enough to make a living playing live and that the fallacy that he actually is rubbish is, well rubbish.

I'm sure as part of his endorsement he has to play X hours online at certain limits, and although I cant be sure I personally believe this is playing with the companys money rather than his own.

Like another poster said he isnt the type of guy to think he is the worlds no.1 poker player. I think this makes him more of a professional poker player than a gambler...which is probably more profitable in the long run!!