Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Top 10 Best Players in the NBA

Who are the great quote on quote players in all of the leagues?

They aren't the guys putting up huge stats on horrible teams, there the guys winning.

I think KG, Pierce and AI are excellent players but over the last year they didn't do enough to get their team into the playoffs.

I hate Kobe, but he is also considered by many the best player on the planet. He willed a team that is arguably worse than both the T-Wolves and Philly without their star player into the playoffs and within a couple mistakes of the 2nd round in the WC. While KG, and AI took more talented teams and failed to make the playoffs. Pierce's team is rather young and the results were expected although he had a tremendous year statsitics wise.

Likewise, Marion has arguably the best stats in fantasy the last 2 years running. Does anyone consider him the best player in the league or on the planet?

I think KG is better, but obviously over the last 2 years, he has performed statistically, he just hasn't helped his teammates get much better and the team last year other than chemistry issues and Cassell's injuries was the same team that made the WCF the year before.

Obviously theres something wrong in Minnesota and if they don't ship KG out, they should because obviously he's getting older and obviously they should rebuild. Likewise the same thing can be said with AI and Pierce, while Pierce isn't rumored on the block both AI and KG are b/c of the earlier reasons. They are too old, get paid too much on relatively young teams.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who are the great quote on quote players in all of the leagues?

They aren't the guys putting up huge stats on horrible teams, there the guys winning.

I think KG, Pierce and AI are excellent players but over the last year they didn't do enough to get their team into the playoffs.

I hate Kobe, but he is also considered by many the best player on the planet. He willed a team that is arguably worse than both the T-Wolves and Philly without their star player into the playoffs and within a couple mistakes of the 2nd round in the WC. While KG, and AI took more talented teams and failed to make the playoffs. Pierce's team is rather young and the results were expected although he had a tremendous year statsitics wise.

Likewise, Marion has arguably the best stats in fantasy the last 2 years running. Does anyone consider him the best player in the league or on the planet?

I think KG is better, but obviously over the last 2 years, he has performed statistically, he just hasn't helped his teammates get much better and the team last year other than chemistry issues and Cassell's injuries was the same team that made the WCF the year before.

Obviously theres something wrong in Minnesota and if they don't ship KG out, they should because obviously he's getting older and obviously they should rebuild. Likewise the same thing can be said with AI and Pierce, while Pierce isn't rumored on the block both AI and KG are b/c of the earlier reasons. They are too old, get paid too much on relatively young teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is very simple, if a player isn't playing well enough to be considered top 10 in the nba then leave him out, if he is playing well enough then include him in that list. But to leave someone out because of what his team has achieved is not valid at all, all of thiswould become even more subjective, you'll have to analyze the other players, the organization, the staff, the GM, etc etc.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:18 PM

You're buying into the hype. A winning team, with few exceptions, is comprised of a number of good players who play well together on offense and defense, at least one great player who can fill up a stat sheet, and a great coach. Players are not GMs, they do not build the team, they play the hand they're dealt. You write in Kobe for a great player because he "willed" his team into the playoffs, but you forget that last year he had the same (actually a marginally better) team and couldn't do it without Phil Jackson. Everyone was on KG's nuts when he "willed" his team into the conference finals, but Cassell and Sprewell give up on the team the next year, the GM surrounds him with trash, they get a rookie head coach, and somehow KG isn't a great player anymore. All the intensity in the world isn't going to save him from that. Iverson "wills" his team to the finals with Larry Brown behind him and he's one of the greatest players of the generation, the coach leaves and his teammates instantaneously age around him as he continues to get better and suddenly he's not a winner anymore. It's a TEAM game because it takes a good TEAM to win, not because each individual's worth is decided by who is placed around him.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:35 PM

I never said he wasn't a great player anymore, I just said I didnt' think he was a top 10 player in the league anymore.

I did say I didn't think Iverson was a top 10 teammate only b/c he's 6 foot, he's really a shooting guard who passes like Francis and Marbury, I wouldn't want them on my team to be a PG which they supposedly play. Then again, I don't think Bibby is the ideal point guard for my favorite team but I'm not saying he's a top 15 player either.

AI's stats are outstanding, I just don't think his game right now especially with his current teammates is going to do anything. Defensively he is solid, I just don't think it more than makes up for the rest of the teams problems. I never said either KG or AI weren't great players, I just didn't think they were top 10 players or the best players in the NBA.

I hate Kobe, he was injured for some of last year and Rudy T wasn't ready for the job. I think Phil is the best coach of the generation but I also think Kobe put his team on his back and carried them to the playoffs where Odom stepped up for the first 5 games of the Sun-Lakers series.

I think the most talented players are the following (No order):

KG
Lebron
Kobe
Wade
AI
Pierce
Howard (Dwight)
T-Mac
Amare (no injury)
Dirk

I think the best teammates are:

Kidd
Nash
Duncan
Shaq
Ben Wallace

Guys who are debatable
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Old 05-17-2006, 04:27 PM

1.Stephon Marbury
1b. Jerome James
2. Steve Francis
3. Jalen Rose
4. Jamal Crawford
5. Travis Knight
6. Luc Longley
7. David Lee
8. Clarence Weatherspoon
9. Glen Rice
10. Jeff Van Gundy
10b. Scott Brooks
Old 05-17-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.Stephon Marbury
1b. Jerome James
2. Steve Francis
3. Jalen Rose
4. Jamal Crawford
5. Travis Knight
6. Luc Longley
7. David Lee
8. Clarence Weatherspoon
9. Glen Rice
10. Jeff Van Gundy
10b. Scott Brooks

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna do this!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to put Hamilton in your top 15. He's a tremendous defender....

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Richard Hamilton? He is one of the worst defensive players in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't watch the NBA much, do you? Kinda curious why you post in NBA threads then. For entertainment?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't watch a LOT of NBA, just some, but I played against him in high school and I played D1 basketball (although in the A10 and we never played UConn), so I figure that would make me a better judge than most. FWIW I think he is a highly underrated offensive player, however he is pretty bad defensively. You would be able to see that if he ever had to guard the other team's best player, but that never happens because they always have Prince or Billups guard him. Guarding Damon Jones and Eric Snow is really not that difficult.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You would be able to see that if he ever had to guard the other team's best player, but that never happens because they always have Prince or Billups guard him. Guarding Damon Jones and Eric Snow is really not that difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really good point, but I don't think he's terrible by any stretch. I think a good word would be "adequate". He's not really a liability on the court because you can put him on that 4th or 5th guy and not worry about it.