Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Celtics let go of Telfair

i didn't know about the feud between these two...hopefully this will prevent him from becoming a knick...enough problems as it is...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with "developing" NBA prospects, is that it's generally very evident whether someone is or isn't NBA talent. It's not like football and baseball where superstars are late round draft picks or undrafted alltogether. It's a fricken miracle when second rounders become even rotation players!

Also....practicing with NBA players every day is probably better than being down in the D-league.

D-league play is generally pretty selfish because guys want numbers so they can maybe get contracts in the big league.

You see guys like Michael Redd playing behind Ray Allen for a couple years before becoming a superstar himself. Learning from NBA players and coaching is huge.

Telfair really lacked (and still lacks) basic PG instincts, and it's a shame he never really got to play with a vet point guard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's evident but there are a ton of players who just never get a chance to play over a first round pick. There have been a couple of players, when they got minutes they shined. Since the NBA is so small, they never get a chance. Coaches are almost forced to play their overpaid vets over a 2nd round pick due to the huge disparity in salary structure and the guaranteed contracts. This is one of the reasons why I hate guaranteed contracts. They bind a player to a team to the utmost degree. The team can't chance it with a lower level player that if succeeds, they will have 2 big guaranteed contracts.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we wouldn't even be talking about him had he not had that ESPN documentary. seriously, as an 18 year old when i saw that, i was hooked on him immediatley (as a celtics fan no less) when he came here i was all like YES YES YES. after a couple months i remember being like wow, [censored] this kid. now im just sick of him and hadn't heard of his release until i just read this drunk right now. didn't he just get arrested for some gun charges or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known his name (per being Steph's cousin) since he was a sophmore. Telfair was very well known before that documentary was produced.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
basically,

the contract swap was Raef Lafrentz (who had four years left) versus theo ratliff (who had two years left and is expiring at the end of next year).

if danny can turn theo's contract + young pieces into an all-star next year, i still say it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now. That's just silly. Brandon Roy will still be an indentured servant in two years, and just what young pieces that the Celtics don't want to keep is Ainge supposed to package with Ratliff for "an all-star".

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics have plenty of young (and cheap) talent -Perkins, Rondo, Allen, Ray, Powe, Green, West, Gomes - that other teams around the league would like to have. Plus dumping an older player (with a few years left on his contract) for Ratliff's expiring contract would be quite appealing to many teams. Moving one or two of those players plus Ratliff isn't that big of a stretch. For example, Seattle has been rumored to be trying to move Ray Allen. Not saying it will happen, just giving it as an example. That being said, I would much rather have Roy than the unknown player in this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics won't trade Green til they know he's a bust. They will resign Jefferson at any cost. The rest of those kids, while nice, are essentially all role players. Perkins has some remote chance of developing still, but the window is closing and he's another that will be viewed as a prayer, not an asset, if the Celtics were willing to move him. You may get one year of $20m Jason Kidd or some other about to die guy, yeah, but why do that with a team that is years away from serious contention. But a legit all-star? No way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at how hard I own Clark in this thread.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:51 PM

True, but I can't help but think of this...

Woman: They say so much, but they never tell you if it's any good.

... Are either one of these any good? SIR. Are either one of these any good?
Randal: I don't watch movies.
W: Well, have you heard anything about either one of them?
R: I find it's best to stay out of other people's affairs.
W: You mean you haven't heard anybody say anything about either one of these.
R: Nope.
W: -sigh-
W: Well what about these tqo?
R: Oh they suck.
W: These are the same two movies! You weren't paying attention!
R: No, I wasn't.
W: I don't think your manager would appreciate it --
R: I don't appreciate your rouse, ma'am.
W: I beg your pardon?
R: Your rouse, your cunning attempt to trick me.
W: I was only pointing out that you weren't paying any attention to what I was saying!
R: And I hope it feels good.
W: You hope what feels good?
R: I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilirating than pointing out the shortcoming of others, is there?
W: Well this is the last time I rent here!
R: You'll be missed.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
basically,

the contract swap was Raef Lafrentz (who had four years left) versus theo ratliff (who had two years left and is expiring at the end of next year).

if danny can turn theo's contract + young pieces into an all-star next year, i still say it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now. That's just silly. Brandon Roy will still be an indentured servant in two years, and just what young pieces that the Celtics don't want to keep is Ainge supposed to package with Ratliff for "an all-star".

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics have plenty of young (and cheap) talent -Perkins, Rondo, Allen, Ray, Powe, Green, West, Gomes - that other teams around the league would like to have. Plus dumping an older player (with a few years left on his contract) for Ratliff's expiring contract would be quite appealing to many teams. Moving one or two of those players plus Ratliff isn't that big of a stretch. For example, Seattle has been rumored to be trying to move Ray Allen. Not saying it will happen, just giving it as an example. That being said, I would much rather have Roy than the unknown player in this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics won't trade Green til they know he's a bust. They will resign Jefferson at any cost. The rest of those kids, while nice, are essentially all role players. Perkins has some remote chance of developing still, but the window is closing and he's another that will be viewed as a prayer, not an asset, if the Celtics were willing to move him. You may get one year of $20m Jason Kidd or some other about to die guy, yeah, but why do that with a team that is years away from serious contention. But a legit all-star? No way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at how hard I own Clark in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you own me because Ainge parlayed one heinous trade into two heinous trades?