Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: 20 people killed at Virginia Tech

So the guy just waits until classes are resumed and starts killing. How does cancelling classes fix anything? Are they supposed to cancel for weeks? They thought the guy had already left the state.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the guy just waits until classes are resumed and starts killing. How does cancelling classes fix anything? Are they supposed to cancel for weeks? They thought the guy had already left the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame the school/police for thinking the guy had left the state. I just think the school should have warned the students before they reached that conclusion. If thats the conclusion the police they reached AFTER the students were warned, then the school has done the best that it can, and we would not even be discussing this.

And if the police determine that the killer is still "loose" on campus, then you really think classes should not be cancelled? really? sure, most murders don't turn into spree killers, but if they've killed once, they'll be willing to kill again to save themselves.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't blame the school/police for thinking the guy had left the state. I just think the school should have warned the students before they reached that conclusion. If thats the conclusion the police they reached AFTER the students were warned, then the school has done the best that it can, and we would not even be discussing this.

And if the police determine that the killer is still "loose" on campus, then you really think classes should not be cancelled? really? sure, most murders don't turn into spree killers, but if they've killed once, they'll be willing to kill again to save themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it could have happened in a dorm, or a cafeteria just as easily as a classroom.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You dont feel sorry for your fellow man, you only feel sorry for yourself. Dying Africans and dead Iraqis are far away and dont effect you, so you do not feel sorry for them. VT is relatable, as is 911, so it makes you feel sorry for yourself.

We all live pointless lives of self-delusion - its just starnge to me how many of you are unaware of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone ever told you that you come off as a faux intellectual dbag?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it could have happened in a dorm, or a cafeteria just as easily as a classroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure i understand your point, im saying that a shooting on campus (or near campus) DURING class hours should be cause for a campus lockdown until the situation is resolved. And resolved does not necessarily mean killer caught.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a cafeteria yes, a dorm no. closing all public places where lots of people are in a small confined space would have really helped here.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

im not sure i understand your point, im saying that a shooting on campus (or near campus) DURING class hours should be cause for a campus lockdown until the situation is resolved. And resolved does not necessarily mean killer caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am disagreeing with the people who are saying it is the university's fault because they didn't cancel classes.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Bob,

Regarding your lockdown posts in this thread, I think it's an ever increasing phenomenon. Yesterday it appeared the high school around from my office was put on lockdown - the exit gates were closed and padlocked, the only entrance/exit that was open was for visitors.

A couple of years ago I went to my old HS to listen to a friend give a talk to the students. I showed up to find out the school was locked down because of a nearby shooting. I asked if this was a fairly common procedure and they said yeah, it was happening about once/month. Not once in four years was it on lockdown when I was there (15+ years ago), and that part of town has NOT gotten worse since then. It appears an annoying, distracting paranoia has set in.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HS by me went to lockdown as a result of what happened in VA yesterday, "just to be safe", and that would piss me off if I was stuck on campus for that reason.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am disagreeing with the people who are saying it is the university's fault because they didn't cancel classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anybody is blaming the university. the blame is on the shooter. the question is if the University did everything in their power to inform and protect their students.

although I haven't read everything about this, it may be a case of incorrect police work leading to bad decision making.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM

Shooter's suspected girlfriend