Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Re: WWE suspends 10 wrestlers for violating drug policy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if this will have the same effect as it had in the early 90s with smaller guys (HBK, hart) getting pushed big

[/ QUOTE ]
They actually have a guy named CM Punk who is straightedge; no drugs, no alcohol, no promiscuous sex, lots of tattoos. That's not just his gimmick, either, he's straightedge in real life too. Plus the kids love him, and he had some amazing matches when he was in ROH (his 60 minute time limit draw with Samoa Joe was the first 5-star American match in 7 years). So, if it's anyone, it'll probably be him.

[ QUOTE ]
Great points Vickrey, earlier TNA did have a lot of non-WWE main event type wrestlers at the top (Samoa Joe, Christian (singles), AJ Styles) putting on good matches.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know! They just overbook the hell out of everything now. Christian vs Angle vs Joe vs AJ in a ladder match for the title would have sold a million PPVs. Old and new big names, all quality workers, and a match with huge potential.

Instead they turned it into Christian vs Angle vs Joe vs AJ vs A Mystery Man in a reverse ladder match with a 2 minute penalty box and a qualifier that you have to pin someone to be able to climb the ladder in order to hang the I CAN'T EVEN FINISH THE DESCRIPTION JUST LET THEM HAVE THE MATCH

[/ QUOTE ]

CM punk just won the title on ECW. I suppose we could of guessed that would be happening so you could be right.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:51 AM

Vickrey,

If Vince Russo is still involved with TNA, that's your problem right there. What you described is classic Russo overbooking. CM Punk is a good wrestler and I'd definitely watch him wrestle Samoa Joe for 60 minutes, but I'm pretty sure that Joe is carrying that match.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 PM

not at all. You don't get 5* matches with one guy carrying the other, you can sometimes get 4* matches with that if the guy doing the carrying is named Harley Race, Dory Funk, Ric Flair, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, or Kenta Kobashi. Punk is an excellent worker who has gotten good matches out of a lot of lesser talents. Just watch the two Punk/Joe matches if you haven't seen them. No one is being carried in those matches, it's just two amazing workers having their working boots on
Old 09-02-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Presently they're paying Pacman Jones, whose main claim to fame is that he shot a guy in the spine, $25,000 per appearance. And he doesn't even do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

while likely a really dumb move

Pacman's main claim to fame is he's really really good at football
Old 09-02-2007, 10:44 PM

They've fired 3 people today-Eugene and Cryme Tyme, they won't be on any more TV (no "I got beat up real bad" story), they're just gone.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

that sorta sucks cryme tyme had promise.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 AM

And Cryme Tyme didn't even test positive for anything. Apparently they just pissed off Cade and Murdoch after someone screwed up the finish of a house show match.

[ QUOTE ]
If Vince Russo is still involved with TNA, that's your problem right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the rumor mill says that he's got more booking influence now than ever before. But even if it's not Russo though, I have no faith in Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantell to put together a good wrestling show.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only William Regal and King Booker are remotely surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't watch wrestling anymore, but I watched Summerslam at a friends house and I was shocked at how cut Booker was at his age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Booker T is the F'ing man

Kinda NSFW
Old 09-03-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also I thought it was pretty well accepted that pro wrestling was a carny like industry filled with drug abusers, con men and freaks.

[/ QUOTE ]
much like poker when you think about it.

anyway, the only good wrestling on tv nowadays is on "galavision" (spanish language channel). Here you get mexican wrestling on the weekends.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 AM

This is a bit random but I thought those still reading this thread would find this photograph interesting.

Dusty Rhodes (center) and Dick Murdoch (right) are easy to recognize.

The wrestler on the left is a very young and overweight Ric Flair. He had probably just started and was thinking of calling himself Ramblin' Ricky Rhodes.

The photo would have been taken in the early '70s when they were all in the AWA.