Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Celtics let go of Telfair

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frankly I think he's getting a bum deal with this weapons charge thing. I know he's had trouble with the law before, but I don't think it's dumb for most NBA guys to carry a piece. Pierce nearly got stabbed to death and has reported that he's been followed on his way home from games.

[/ QUOTE ]

There would be no reason that Pierce couldn't get a concealed carry permit, and a waiver of team rules on gun possession, esp. because of these issues.

Telfair didn't have any permit, was busted for carrying one on a plane, was told never to carry a gun, knew it was team policy for no player to carry a gun, and still did it again. Do you think he really tried to get a permit or team permission?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant a bum deal from the media and fans and such. I'm not excusing his actions. He knows the law, and he knows his situation. But on CelticsBlog and in papers there's a heavy tone of "good riddance. what a punk".. and while he very well may be a punk, I don't think this proves that or anything. He's just dumb.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is I don't know that there are really that many people who would make sense to go to a minor league. Telfair would be far and away the best player that it wouldn't be worth it. It's not like AAA, which is at least somewhat close to MLB quality.

[/ QUOTE ]This is true, but I agree with Assani's idea. While I think the NBDL is a good idea in principle, it is not being utilized properly. If NBA teams could use it as a farm system, they would. Right now, players that aren't currently good enough to play for an NBA team go where? Europe, because they can make some dough and play at a decent level. The guys in the NBDL are living some what of a pipe dream. They are holding on to to a last glimmer of hope of making a NBA roster, but most aren't good enough to even be there, let alone in Europe. The NBA should allow teams to use the Development league as just that, a place to develop on the cusp players.

I would love to see the NBA expand the roster of NBA teams to 20 or so guys, with the excess players playing in the DL, all the while being locked into an NBA team. It could greatly improve the league. Teams wouldn't be hurting so much with sudden injuries.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... while he very well may be a punk, I don't think this proves that or anything. He's just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ] I never got the impression that he was a punk. He never even seemed "ghetto", he just seemed naive and immature. He is the perfect example of being too young and inexperienced for the league. In essence, he personifies the very problem that the minimum age rule was put in place to prevent.

However, maybe he was a punk. In his documentary, he says his brother basically "groomed" him to be presentable and likable. His brother wanted him to be drafted and knew that if he was going to have a chance, he had to project a clean image. Maybe it was a facade? I have doubts though.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know, I don't want to make excuses for him, but he was driving in Yonkers with an expensive SUV at 21. Wouldn't you be packing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you had already been suspended once for traveling with a gun, and were under investigation for the shooting of a rapper right after his posse stole your jewelry.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not actually under any sort of investigation for the Fabolous thing, he was cleared of any involvement awhile ago.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is I don't know that there are really that many people who would make sense to go to a minor league. Telfair would be far and away the best player that it wouldn't be worth it. It's not like AAA, which is at least somewhat close to MLB quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are tons of prospects that could thrive there. You don't think Darko would've developed better by playing 40+ minutes per game in the NBDL? And you don't think that those games would draw big crowds and tv ratings because Pistons fans would want to see Darko?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Telfair just makes me believe even more that the NBA needs to set up a minor league program with the NBDL. What exactly is preventing them from doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some teams do this already. I know the Lakers do.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 AM

we wouldn't even be talking about him had he not had that ESPN documentary. seriously, as an 18 year old when i saw that, i was hooked on him immediatley (as a celtics fan no less) when he came here i was all like YES YES YES. after a couple months i remember being like wow, [censored] this kid. now im just sick of him and hadn't heard of his release until i just read this drunk right now. didn't he just get arrested for some gun charges or something?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are tons of prospects that could thrive there. You don't think Darko would've developed better by playing 40+ minutes per game in the NBDL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who else would we see playing with him that would have a chance to develop? This is pretty much limited to lottery picks that haven't made a huge impact. 2nd rounders and UFAs would be so much worse. How many players do you think could really benefit from this league?

[ QUOTE ]
And you don't think that those games would draw big crowds and tv ratings because Pistons fans would want to see Darko?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not really.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This is true, but I agree with Assani's idea. While I think the NBDL is a good idea in principle, it is not being utilized properly. If NBA teams could use it as a farm system, they would. Right now, players that aren't currently good enough to play for an NBA team go where? Europe, because they can make some dough and play at a decent level. The guys in the NBDL are living some what of a pipe dream. They are holding on to to a last glimmer of hope of making a NBA roster, but most aren't good enough to even be there, let alone in Europe. The NBA should allow teams to use the Development league as just that, a place to develop on the cusp players.

I would love to see the NBA expand the roster of NBA teams to 20 or so guys, with the excess players playing in the DL, all the while being locked into an NBA team. It could greatly improve the league. Teams wouldn't be hurting so much with sudden injuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your last statement is already true. Players from league teams can now be sent to the D-league and the players are tied to an NBA team. There are not enough individual teams ala Major League Baseballs' system
Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 AM

The problem with "developing" NBA prospects, is that it's generally very evident whether someone is or isn't NBA talent. It's not like football and baseball where superstars are late round draft picks or undrafted alltogether. It's a fricken miracle when second rounders become even rotation players!

Also....practicing with NBA players every day is probably better than being down in the D-league.

D-league play is generally pretty selfish because guys want numbers so they can maybe get contracts in the big league.

You see guys like Michael Redd playing behind Ray Allen for a couple years before becoming a superstar himself. Learning from NBA players and coaching is huge.

Telfair really lacked (and still lacks) basic PG instincts, and it's a shame he never really got to play with a vet point guard.