Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Within the Rules or goofball move???

Next time, you need to reverse angle shoot so that they can't put you on the angle shoot.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Can someone explain to me exactly what "angling" is?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Angling is usually an attempt to win a pot by manipulating your opponent into making a procedural error, or performing the error yourself in hope of getting a loose call when you are strong.

I don't consider most table talk to be angleshooting but some people will. I don't consider the "Looks like a split pot" line to be an angle for example.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 PM

What everyone is failing to remember here is, that still nobody knows I did this deliberately... Do I think they are stupid? In a nutshell, Yes. That's why the same players keep winning and the same players keep losing night after night after night for the past 3 years...
I absolutely do not think this was -ev. Same players for 3 years, same donators and nobody knows I did this on purpose... so, other than it's probably bad karma, I doubt this play was -ev in my opinion.

I still have yet to differentiate MY play to purposelly showing my 3 (which is allowed).
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 PM

crackerjack, in all seriousness, why did you post this thread? If no one knew what you did, that means no one complained about it, which means you didn't catch heat for it. Yet something compelled you to post it here, looking for our approval. Clearly, there's something within you that knows this was an angle.

-McGee
Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 PM

cracka-

How is your play different, you ask, then showing the 3? If you show the 3, just lay it flat out there, he knows you are intending to show it. If some guy shows me a very week, crap card, I'm going to assume the other one is amazing for him.

However, if he thinks you accidently showed the card, he'll probably think the 3 is all you have. And is thus, more inclined to make the call.

^That's the difference.

Going by twistofsin's definition of the term "angling" I'd say if this was a tournament, you'd be angling. Because in a tournament, you aren't supposed to show cards. But in a cash game, you can show your cards, so crackerjack was not "performing an error" at all. He was just showing his card, its up to the opponent to decide if its on purpose or not.

Like others have said, showing a card is a tell in Caro's book. Caro also emphasizes it is important to discern whether or not your opponent is acting. In this case, crackerjacks' opponent made the wrong decision, he thought, "he's not acting, he didnt mean to show that card." He was wrong.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM

youre a dick. it was a dick move. he was calling anyway. you played the hand bad. should have built the pot up on the flop or turn so you didn't have to make a huge overbet. don't pull moves like that especially at a soft game where you have a huge edge.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM

perhaps I could of built it up on the turn, but I'm guessing he's letting go of 10,5 to a raise on the flop. My object when I enter a pot is to make as much as possible.

I honestly thought there would be more people other than Jakethesnake and I who thought this was o.k. Or perhaps only the people who object are voicing their opinions.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly thought there would be more people other than Jakethesnake and I who thought this was o.k.

[/ QUOTE ]Are my posts filtered out or something? I have little problem with showing the 3. It's silly and it will come back to bite you some day, but oh well. I had issue with you pulling the "but he was looking, so he's the one angling!" approach, as you're the one flashing your [censored].

My issue is with the "guess it's a split pot" line. That's plain ol' dickery, considering the opponents and situation.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:12 PM

i don't see the problem with it. you did what you needed to do to ensure the donkey called off his whole stack.