Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Aggressive driving tips

[ QUOTE ]
Force your way into traffic: Someone already established in a lane may have the legal right of way, but if you want his spot, you have the physical advantage as merging traffic. If someone is providing at least a foot of space between him and the car in front, start to change lanes as the gap is about 3/4 of the way back on your car. Push as far as you can into his lane without hitting either car. You can use your turn signal here, but only after you've started to change lanes. It's telling the guy you don't intend to change lanes, you ARE changing lanes, so GTFO of the way. Since your car's nose angles in first, you can squeeze it right into the gap, and if you do it right, you're essentially creating a situation where the car behind will have to make a conscious decision to run into your car if he wants to continue fighting for position. No one ever does this. You win every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit a guy doing this. I was in a older pickup with a steel bumper and they were a bunch of sping breakers in a convertable. It was one of the situations were the road was merging into on lane and everybody knew it so everyone got to the left lane. These douchebags stayed in the right lane passing everyone until the got to the point it merge and i happened to be the one right there they didn't signal or anything just stuck there nose in. They knew what they were doing, but they didn't think that i didn't give a [censored] about the front bumper of my truck. I was about 90% sure they were underage and drinking so i just hit there front fender at about 10mph. it really screwed there fender up and did almost nothing to my bumper. they got out cussing me. I told them just relax until the cops got here. they started whispering amongst themselves about (i'm sure it was about how they were drunk/beer in car.) I told them if they back their car up and got out of my way we could just pretend it didn't happen. They cussed me somemore but they moved and let me go by. the guy in line behind me yelled out the window "good job buddy". (non-sarcastic)

We blocked traffic for 5-10 minutes, but it was worth it.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Force your way into traffic: Someone already established in a lane may have the legal right of way, but if you want his spot, you have the physical advantage as merging traffic. If someone is providing at least a foot of space between him and the car in front, start to change lanes as the gap is about 3/4 of the way back on your car. Push as far as you can into his lane without hitting either car. You can use your turn signal here, but only after you've started to change lanes. It's telling the guy you don't intend to change lanes, you ARE changing lanes, so GTFO of the way. Since your car's nose angles in first, you can squeeze it right into the gap, and if you do it right, you're essentially creating a situation where the car behind will have to make a conscious decision to run into your car if he wants to continue fighting for position. No one ever does this. You win every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit a guy doing this. I was in a older pickup with a steel bumper and they were a bunch of sping breakers in a convertable. It was one of the situations were the road was merging into on lane and everybody knew it so everyone got to the left lane. These douchebags stayed in the right lane passing everyone until the got to the point it merge and i happened to be the one right there they didn't signal or anything just stuck there nose in. They knew what they were doing, but they didn't think that i didn't give a [censored] about the front bumper of my truck. I was about 90% sure they were underage and drinking so i just hit there front fender at about 10mph. it really screwed there fender up and did almost nothing to my bumper. they got out cussing me. I told them just relax until the cops got here. they started whispering amongst themselves about (i'm sure it was about how they were drunk/beer in car.) I told them if they back their car up and got out of my way we could just pretend it didn't happen. They cussed me somemore but they moved and let me go by. the guy in line behind me yelled out the window "good job buddy". (non-sarcastic)

[/ QUOTE ]

nice crai!

I drive a beater too and I think it helps me in these spots as well because most ppl in nice cars don't want to get in an accident with a beater. Course I don't have the balls that you do and I would slammed the breaks. But nice play.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, sir!
Old 02-10-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Expert move: Timed perfectly, you can turn left when the light turns green before the opposing traffic gets a chance to start moving. Usually only possible on specific intersections, or with a rolling start.

[/ QUOTE ]
AKA a "New Jersey left."
Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<Bob>Is that something you might be interested in?</Bob>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it.
What am I missing?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Some useful things I've learned:

Don't waste time sitting at lights to make a left turn. Depending on the intersection, I either go straight thru, make a quick u-turn and then turn right; or, even better, make a right on red, quick u-turn, and go straight thru while the light is still green.
Never get in a lane that has one of these people in it:
1) Construction contractors. Every minute they spend on the road is less time on the job. And they are getting paid anyway, they are not going anywhere.
2) Company vans. Same as above, also they are scared about being reported to their bosses.
3) Soccer moms in mini vans. A trip to the store always takes a 1/2 hour for them, and they can't figure out why.

BTW, on the highway, statistics show that the least likely lane to get caught speeding in is the 2nd from the left.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 PM

One thing I notice that's like the key difference between a good/fast driver and a slow braker - if something bad is happening in front of you, what your first reaction? With a lot of people it's to slam on the brakes. With good/fast drivers it's to swerve around.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:18 PM

I just came back from a couple weeks in Lima, Peru where there's way too much traffic and everyone drives around like maniacs in little, beat-up cars.
It's possible d10 might be a conservative/safe driver over there.

Now if he starts talking about the directions on one-way streets being entirely optional then we can talk.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<Bob>Is that something you might be interested in?</Bob>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it.
What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]
entourage?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 PM

drove in NJ traffic (rt 17 rush hour) for a year (4 lane highway, bumper to bumper):

1. always <1' distance between cars up to 50mph. Occasionally there's a pocket of clear road and you don't want anyone cutting you off.

2. if an ambulance is passing through the traffic, get directly behind it and ride the free lane. Make sure to keep less distance than in point 1, since everyone wants to do the same. If you lag behind and leave even a foot open, people will pull OP's #4 on you and you'll have to slam the brakes.

3. if a cop has his siren on, get behind the car directly following that car just like point #2. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to follow emergency vehicles, so this way you're not the one getting busted.

Oh yeah, you'll have 0 room for error, so you have to be extra vigilant. I usually look at the red tail lights of the car I'm following and break as soon as it comes on. Through peripheral vision, I look at the situation ahead and anticipate any slowdowns.

In NYC traffic, you have to master OP's #4 if you ever want to switch lanes, since cabbies will never, ever let you get in their lane.