Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Aggressive driving tips (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=328233)

d10 02-10-2007 12:21 AM

Aggressive driving tips

Hopefully this thread will be just as useful as the safe driving tips thread. Share your tips for negotiating the roadways at peak efficiency!

Driving fast in the right lane: When I'm travelling at >10+ MPH, I like to stay as far right as possible. You're less likely to be pulled over, and ironically, it usually allows you to travel faster than the guys who hang out in the left lane, since nobody likes driving in the far right lane, especially on 3+ lane highways. The only exception:

Own the middle lane: During periods of medium density traffic, the middle lane is often best. This allows you two options for passing, right or left, whereas in the extreme lanes you can only pass on one side.

Don't use turn signals: This lets people know you want to get in front of them. You've probably been driving in a manner which pisses them off, and even if not, most people won't want you in front of them anyways. Don't give them more information than is necessary to stop you. Just wait until a safe opportunity presents itself, and gogogo. By the time they realize you're coming over, it's too late.

Force your way into traffic: Someone already established in a lane may have the legal right of way, but if you want his spot, you have the physical advantage as merging traffic. If someone is providing at least a foot of space between him and the car in front, start to change lanes as the gap is about 3/4 of the way back on your car. Push as far as you can into his lane without hitting either car. You can use your turn signal here, but only after you've started to change lanes. It's telling the guy you don't intend to change lanes, you ARE changing lanes, so GTFO of the way. Since your car's nose angles in first, you can squeeze it right into the gap, and if you do it right, you're essentially creating a situation where the car behind will have to make a conscious decision to run into your car if he wants to continue fighting for position. No one ever does this. You win every time.

Using onramps to pass: This is especially useful on 2 lane highways, which I drive on a lot. Many times you'll see a slow moving truck trying to pass another slow moving truck but the truck being passed is being a douchebag and doesn't see any reason why he should have to change the way he's driving, so sometimes you're stuck for literally miles going 10 under the speed limit because the truck just can't make the pass. A good solution is to use onramps to pass on the right. They are usually long enough to get past a slow moving semi trailer. Passing at highway speeds on shoulders can be dangerous, onramps are guaranteed to be clean and solid surfaces. When you see an exit sign coming up, get ready.

ed8383 02-10-2007 12:24 AM

Re: Aggressive driving tips

asian/woman driving tips
sorry I couldn't resist [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

hmohnphd 02-10-2007 12:26 AM

You are scum.

Edit: Erp. Didn't see rival thread.

Ricky_Bobby 02-10-2007 12:33 AM

You realize that society would crumble to pieces if everyone drove like you right?

Poofler 02-10-2007 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to stay as far right as possible. You're less likely to be pulled over

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? The cops in my city hang out exclusively on the right shoulder. They don't try to nail left lane traffic at all. No way to lie in wait, and it involves changing several lanes once pulling the guy over to the curb.

d10 02-10-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like to stay as far right as possible. You're less likely to be pulled over

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? The cops in my city hang out exclusively on the right shoulder. They don't try to nail left lane traffic at all. No way to lie in wait, and it involves changing several lanes once pulling the guy over to the curb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your case may be an exception. I usually see cops hanging out on the left. There have been plenty of times where I would have been caught speeding, but as the cop came into view there happened to be a car in the left lane between us and it gave me just enough time to slow down.

cbloom 02-10-2007 12:55 AM

LOL OP is awesome. You can also easily pass on the shoulder of most 2 line highways. However, be very careful passing on the shoulder if you're passing someone you've already pissed off :{

Also those "right lane must exit" lanes are excellent for getting ahead. You can pretty much drive up to the latest possible merge point and then force yourself in.

d10 02-10-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You realize that society would crumble to pieces if everyone drove like you right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone drove like me these techniques would be unnecessary. I see people on the road all the time driving as efficiently as I do, and I am happy to stay behind them, or in front of them, or maintain whatever position we have to eachother.

Poofler 02-10-2007 01:00 AM

The worst is when those cops control traffic. If I get caught not being aware of their presence while weaving, fine, I'm nailed. But when cops drive a leisurely 55 for 10 miles and the entire goddamn highway wont go any faster, very very annoying.

leehrat 02-10-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't use turn signals: This lets people know you want to get in front of them. You've probably been driving in a manner which pisses them off, and even if not, most people won't want you in front of them anyways. Don't give them more information than is necessary to stop you. Just wait until a safe opportunity presents itself, and gogogo. By the time they realize you're coming over, it's too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. i use this tactic all the time. most drivers are rude and insecure and will speed up if you indicate by using your blinker.