Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Help me gain 10-15 lbs of muscle by July.

abso,

Please shed these ridiculous notions of "working as hard as anyone" and that lame "you guys are so negative" attitude.

While it is hard to get unfat and build muscle you are such a rank amateur that there is little concern. You could probably shift your body composition as easily as someone on juice for the first 1-3 months.

Enjoy the easy gains and benefit from them. Also please stop using anything with a machine. Its for your own good. And please don't do anything with 3 sets of 8 reps. Better yet... Just goto T-nation or crossfit and steal a workout.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:41 PM

Description Women Men
Essential fat 10-13% 2-4%
Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
Acceptable 25–31% 18–25%
Obese 32%+ 25%+

You are in the "acceptable" range. You are about 11lbs away from being obese, 11lbs of fat is nothing to gain during a bulking cycle. What I consider fat, is when a bulking program is going to hurt you more than hurt you, and I believe it would. I ahve no doubt you can get gain a lot of strength by July, I just would not do it while eating at a calorie excess.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 PM

I should take a picture of my upper torso, and let you guys determine whether or not I'm fat. I do have a small beer belly pouch thing going on, but that's about it. Zero chest flab, zero arm flab, zero leg flab. I agree with Scary_Tiger.

Side question, while I realize I'm slightly ignorant in such matters; I fail to see how playing BBALL, and lifting is counter productive...

Once again, I'll talk out of my ass, but look at athletes of yesteryear. They would condition, lift, condition, lift, etc. The science that goes on today baffles me, and I think it's highly overrated unless I'm looking to compete. I think good old fashioned busting ass weight lifting and mild cardio will achieve my goals. Maybe 10 lbs is too much.

I just want to get a little bigger, and a little stronger.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 PM

This is one problem, I also have, the playing a sport/lifting. Most of us arent pro's, get as much physical activity as you can, I lift hard most of the year, and I play soccer, hockey, and a terrible game of bball once in awhile, just make sure to drink some of your post-workout shake during the game if you are that worried about it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 PM

That is why you shouldn't think.

Cardio limits your gains. If you want to get as big as possible as fast as possible, stop running. Yes, I ran cross country and played varsity soccer for many years. I can't run 800 feet without dying ATM. Eventually I'll correct that, but its for the greater good now.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 PM

Your "lifting" exercises are stupid BS crap that don't work the full body. Bicep curls and tricep extensions? Come on, that's ridiculous. Even flat bench is not that great.

You need to be doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, front rows, and cable rotation (the last two are the only machines I like). Enough of this "working out each body part" bullcrap - you need to get the whole body working, including the stabilizer muscles. To build the upper body you need to work out everything, which includes (above all things) SQUATS.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
abso,

Please shed these ridiculous notions of "working as hard as anyone" and that lame "you guys are so negative" attitude.

While it is hard to get unfat and build muscle you are such a rank amateur that there is little concern. You could probably shift your body composition as easily as someone on juice for the first 1-3 months.

Enjoy the easy gains and benefit from them. Also please stop using anything with a machine. Its for your own good. And please don't do anything with 3 sets of 8 reps. Better yet... Just goto T-nation or crossfit and steal a workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

When idiots make counterproductive comments about how I won't follow my routine, and how this is all a joke, how else should I respond? Get mad, and flame back?

FWIW, the majority of my work outs consist of 4 sets of 6 reps, with a burnout set for the 4th. Generally it will be a lighter weight on the last set. Additionally, every exercise I do is either bar or dumbell, no machines.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Background on me:

6'5" 195
20% body fat

Workouts: (not limited to...)

Bench Press: 120lbs 8x

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz you're a weakling!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 PM

Thremp-

Dude, I'm not looking to compete in Mr. Universe by July. I want to get my body in better shape muscularly and cardiovascularly speaking.

If doing squats, deadlifts, and cleans is what it takes, I'll do it. I don't care, I'm not going to set limits for myself.

But I won't be that guy like you Thremp. Can't run 800 feet...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:55 PM

Abso,

Maybe do something other than machines and burnouts? I personally do a full body workout with a high intensity approach to each exercise. I rarely do "burnouts" though they do offer some benefit for someone like yourself who is a beginner and needs more volume.

My general advice is less exercises, more sets, shorter workout. Like do 5x10 squats and 5x10 face pulls and get the hell outta there.

Note about goals: You aren't going to put on 15 lbs of muscle in half a year if keeping a 6 min mile the whole time is a requirement. Figure out whats more important and go from there.