Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Am I liable to pay for poker debt accrued now that poker is banned???

You are not liable even before the US legislation, so what makes you any more liable now? Every dispute against gambling debt, even if you signed a contract and sent in photo ID is not enforcable in any court of law.

I've seen tens of thousands of charge backs and other disputes go untouched. They can't even send to collection agency without violating the FDCPA (but many don't know this, so you threaten the collection agency with violation of FDCPA - $1000 statuatory fine per violation - and they quickly drop it).

I've helped many gambling addicts stuck in a hole they could not get out of. You have to realize that unsecured debt is basically uncollectable if you know what you're doing... add some anti-gambling statutes on top of that (before the recent US legislation), and it becomes impossible to collect if you know how to defend.

I'm just staying the facts... please reserve your moral judgements.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Am I liable to pay for poker debt accrued now that poker is banned???

cool. so here's the plan then.. me and my bro go online and he dumps about $50k to me playing heads up. then he doesnt pay and he and i chop the money up. rinse repeat. no?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Am I liable to pay for poker debt accrued now that poker is banned

[ QUOTE ]
cool. so here's the plan then.. me and my bro go online and he dumps about $50k to me playing heads up. then he doesnt pay and he and i chop the money up. rinse repeat. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a perfect plan. Except for, you know, getting the monies out.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, Im ready to take the heat and scrutiny. A few months before US Banned online poker, I dropped about 2K on BODOG (instant check feature) and other sites via Firepay (overdrated the firepay account). Now that gambling is officially banned and Firepay is out of the "game", am I still liable for the money that is owed to Bodog and Firepay? I know firepay already handed the account over to some collection agency but I haven't heard from them in over 2 months (usually, they send a letter saying i owe this much etc) and as for Bodog, besides 2 emails a LONG time ago, I have not heard from them. I know it is ETHICALLY, MORALLY, etc wrong to NOT pay up on what I owe. But what is the ruling on this now that gambling is banned?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know you are ready, and used your real account to post this....whattajag.

[ QUOTE ]
oopsydaisy
stranger

Reged: 11/02/06

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2006, 12:08 PM

Can she cook?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:05 PM

Dude, this will cost you on YOUR CREDIT REPORT. No accounts will be closed, but Party Poker or Firepay could sell the debt to a collection agency in your country. Your wages could be garnished in the future. This debt will hang over your head. Not a great idea.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:54 PM

OP, just keep in mind you're not really saving yourself $2k. Your tarnished credit history will cost you far more in higher interest rates on future credit cards, car loans, etc. If you finance a car for 72 months at a 12% higher interest rate, what do you think that's going to cost you? Make amends. Get a job and get on a payment plan.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:24 PM

Dispute the charges made by the gaming companies. Next time you hear from the collection agency, tell them you didn't make those charges and you want to dispute it. The case will essentially be over.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between a bad debt, and fraud. Do you see what that difference is?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 PM

The dispute argument is a good one.

They aren't going to hunt you down over 2 K.

They will also offer to settle for much less, if you want to go that route.