Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Re: KTs , Insta call on river with 1 pair

[ QUOTE ]
I'd make psb on turn and check on river if got called...

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems really bad.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone PLEASE explain to me whats wrong with the PF call?

Me an True talked quite a bit about this hand and we both agree that every street is pretty standard, especially preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

PF is only bad if you're a beginning player who can't play hands like KQ/KJ/KT because you go too far with one pair. So people say never to call raises with this hand because that's the easiest way to stay out of trouble.

I'm sure you know what type of hands you're trying to make with something like KTs, so it's cool.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:20 PM

most of the time you flop nothing.

you flop a pair 1/3 of the time you flop a good draw, great made hand much less often.

Re-raise preflop - we have position and this will likely narrow the field to HU where it's very likely that a flop CB will take down the pot.

If you aren't comfortable re-raising an unknown EP raiser who is raising a standard (4BB+1) amount (and who likely has more of a clue about how to play than your average 100NL donk) then fold.

the 2/3 of the time you miss the flop more often than not UTG+1 will bet and you have to fold and wave goodbye to 5BB.

I think a call here with ATs is standard (cos if we land a draw it's a nut draw) but not KTs (where only sometimes we get a nut draw - and on rare occasions we pay off big when we have say a K high flush and villain has a nut flush)
Old 10-01-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most of the time you flop nothing.

you flop a pair 1/3 of the time you flop a good draw, great made hand much less often.

Re-raise preflop - we have position and this will likely narrow the field to HU where it's very likely that a flop CB will take down the pot.

If you aren't comfortable re-raising an unknown EP raiser who is raising a standard (4BB+1) amount (and who likely has more of a clue about how to play than your average 100NL donk) then fold.

the 2/3 of the time you miss the flop more often than not UTG+1 will bet and you have to fold and wave goodbye to 5BB.

I think a call here with ATs is standard (cos if we land a draw it's a nut draw) but not KTs (where only sometimes we get a nut draw - and on rare occasions we pay off big when we have say a K high flush and villain has a nut flush)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is sick bad advice.....

Why not just call and raise any flop? It's far more believable than a re-raise and a c-bet and at least you get to see the flop before deciding how much money you wish to put in.

Calling KTs here is definitely better than re-raising it. By re-raising it you can lose the equity and implied odds strength of the hand. I think :

Calling >>> Folding > Raising

True
Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM

very few people bluff in re-raised pots - a re-raise and a cbet takes this pot down in our direction I think way more often than smooth calling and raising/leading any flop.

If we call and UTG+1 CB's when we miss we fold and bleed away 5BB

I think folding ~= reraising > calling.

re-raising might well take it down preflop - some villains are wary of calling re-raises from unknowns without a monster pf hand and we are just as unknown to villain as he is unknown to us...
Old 10-01-2006, 09:42 PM

I don't have much to add, but I definitely think it was a mistake to just check after the turn. You're giving a player a free look at the river. I'd definitely make him pay to see that river card. I bet if you would have put in a decent bet, he/she would have folded.

My two cents.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have much to add, but I definitely think it was a mistake to just check after the turn. You're giving a player a free look at the river. I'd definitely make him pay to see that river card. I bet if you would have put in a decent bet, he/she would have folded.

My two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, why do you want villain to fold?

We want to maximise EV, not maximise our chance of winning the hand.

True
Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 PM

I agree with Dumle here. It's not really about what decision you make on the river. It's about making him/her pay to see the river. For him/her to call on the turn is a mistake at that point.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:56 PM

If he bet out on the turn and villain folds, he pulls in $33 versus giving a player a FREE look at the river and sucking out.

I'm kind of just starting to learn poker so correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Dumle here. It's not really about what decision you make on the river. It's about making him/her pay to see the river. For him/her to call on the turn is a mistake at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we have to make him pay to see the river, when he will pay us to see the river?

True