Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Are you overrolled?

guys, this makes me a feel a lot better [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

being able to play fearlessly is what makes me play my best. being overrolled does that.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:09 AM

Being overrolled is fine if you're a professional, but if you play as a hobby or just for spare cash on the side, take some chances.

There's no reason to be playing $.50/1 limit with a few thousand in your bankroll. You can't possibly be supporting yourself playing at that level. The only reason anyone should be playing that low is if they're a very new player still trying to grasp the basics or if they play just for the sake of playing. If you have any asparations of building a good bankroll and becoming a serious player you need to move up.

Don't let variance handcuff you. The truth about variance is that big downswings are rare. Yes everyone has a losing day or even a couple losing days regularly. But a long, extended losing streak is not something you should run in fear from.

Challenge yourself and be confident in your game. If you are a good player, you should have the confidence in your game to expect to win when you play.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 AM

$10,000 for 5/10 (3 handed and up) and the occasional 10/20.. Im pro
Old 08-13-2006, 02:24 PM

Who are you dude? I play that game on Prima you must have played alot with me my alias = Sixteen
Old 08-13-2006, 02:47 PM

heret1c i just play NL20 though, i try to forget about that site as much as possible.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:59 PM

I am more than overrolled 200 Buy ins for NL/ PL, but i am not really interested in move up. I made enough extra cash with the bonus and m slight winrate. Guess if i have a winrate from 8-9BB i give higher limits perhaps a shot. Only way i play sometimes a bit higher is MTTs with added money.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 AM

I don't know why there are so many replies from people thinking that having 500 BBs for limit or 50 buyins for no-limit is being overrolled. It isn't; it's standard.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why there are so many replies from people thinking that having 500 BBs for limit or 50 buyins for no-limit is being overrolled. It isn't; it's standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a reasonable amount. It can be a shake to one's psyche if you it a variance swing where you loose 7-8 all in's in a row where your a favorite soon after you move up in stakes. Throw in a couple you loose as a dog with a second best hand where opponent has an unlikely, but better hand, and there is 10 buy ins. This can happen in a weeks time, trust me. lol

If you can still play your A game after this happening then you are better than me. If you can stay at the same level and continue to play your A game with 10 buy in's then maybe 20 is enough. When that happened to me I was very fearful of going broke, questioned whether or not I was going to continue to play no limit poker at all, and dropped down a couple levels (and I had more than 20 buy in's to start).
Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna post but you put me to shame. We should start GN (Gamble needed) help group.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I want to gamble, I shoot craps.
When I want to make money, I play poker.

I think it's best not to introduce a lot of gamble into my poker playing, as that tends to send me on crazy monkey tilt.

Oh, btw, I'm now playing some $2/4 limit also. I'm such a chickenshit.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't have a problem with playing from 500 BB (+66%) in limit, but 50 buyins (+150%) for NL is pretty extreme if you move down when things go badly.

As I said above, I don't think that there's any reliable maths that shows what the NL bankroll requirements are, it's more of a rule of thumb, but I'd be interested to hear why you want to have 50 buyins.

My worst ever short-term run was 7 buyins down in 100 hands (10 minutes... sucky), but I've never lost anything close to 50 over any period - but I do move down when things go badly.