Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: TT hand from a 109

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're way to early to be raising here imo

[/ QUOTE ] No, he's not. Its a matter of personal preference but raising here is entirely reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your personal preference is to maximize profits then raise preflop. I suppose if for some reason you prefer to lose moey you could limp or fold but this is a super easy raise pf. As for the flop play just push your hand is vulernable as pretty much everything has 6 outs or more against you push for a few reasons.
1. You'd be suprised how often you get called by a worse hand
2. By pushing and not getting called you pick up a big pot without having to show down a winner.
3.All better hands are not folding so it doesn't matter how you play your tens if he's beating you.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a hand that you beat is calling 500, why wouldn't this hand call your flop shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually villain had A2, if you can believe it, which I think fits into this category.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a hand that you beat is calling 500, why wouldn't this hand call your flop shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this is the greatest argument against, but...

Because they are getting 3-1 odds to call a 500 bet, but only about 1.7-1 odds if I push. Plus, the button still has to worry about the BB.

I disagree that a push doesn't look like a stronger hand than a 500 bet. As we are proving here, most players would push an overpair here. I raised PF and pushing looks very much like an overpair. A 500 bet is a 1/2 pot lead-out after a PF raise. It could be anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suppose it might just be trivial disagreement in you passing up EV based on all of the factors. i feel comfortable pushing this but not leading 500 though....honestly thats the extent of my argument [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] which is why i dont hate t500 on flop, i just think a push is a better play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair. I do think that this is a situation where you must decide whether you want to just take down this pot and start the next hand with $2300, or you want to take a +EV gamble on 500 more chips. This decision will be affected mainly by your style of play and how you feel about the table.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:24 AM

..."Furthermore there is always the danger that the turn will give them added outs. A hand like A7s could hit a 5,6,7, T J for extra outs, making the turn call correct."

Or what about a hand like QJ with one club. Now a club hits the turn (this happens 10/45). He now has 16 outs on his turn call.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
..."Furthermore there is always the danger that the turn will give them added outs. A hand like A7s could hit a 5,6,7, T J for extra outs, making the turn call correct."

Or what about a hand like QJ with one club. Now a club hits the turn (this happens 10/45). He now has 16 outs on his turn call.

[/ QUOTE ]

For every scenario like this, I could point out one like this:

Say if villain calls 500 with AK or 66 and then BB pushes with A9, I call and villain folds, which would put 500 dead money in the pot whereas villain would have just folded to a push.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 AM

I think perhaps much of the disagreement of how to proceed is very much depended on the sophistication of the players. Perhaps $500 is the right play in the $33 games and lower. But at $55 and above you don't get many donkey calls on the flop with just two overs, 66, A2 or even A8. First of all, you don't get a lot of cold callers, calling an R3 preflop raise with hands like A9, A8, A2 to begin with. Just my 2 cents.