Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Carlos Mortensen first to win WSOP ME and WPT Championship

[ QUOTE ]
They spend a lot of $$$ on buy-ins, travel and accomodations and may not manage their bankrolls very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also loyalty. Gavin has said the only way he'd ever stop being backed by Erick is if Erick wanted to end it.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if people/companies are looking to add a strong spanish player to a poker team I believe a great player is Raul "el toro" Paez , whos game i respect alot and believe could soon take off....

[/ QUOTE ]

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...a=r&n=3436

Raul Paez is from Barcelona.

I don't know whether Castellan Spanish or Catalan is his first language.

He was in the WPT Season 4 Tunica show, the one won by Scotty Nguyen after one hand of heads-up play against the Grinder.

I will review that video again, as I don't recall watching anything that stands out in my mind regarding Paez.

Because Paez has NOT won anything on TV and he is male, he will get at best a 2nd tier sponsorship contact in the 5 figures, and only if he has a personality that an online site is looking for.

Carlos Mortensen is so far ahead of other male professional poker players in Spain so Carlos, and Carlos only, is the only male from Spain who deserves a "top shelf" endorsement contract from a "Tier 1" online poker "school".

Cecilia Reyes is female, photogenic, and outgoing. With the bar being so much lower for females rather than males, she obviously has a shot at getting a good deal from a "Tier 1" online poker "school".
Old 04-29-2007, 06:26 PM

i can't wait to see this when it airs.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Actually, I can't figure out how Gary arrived at 10. I'm (extremely bored and) looking at the Hendon Mob's list, and if you count BoC and Invitational wins (which adds Barry G), then it's 12, neither and it's 8, and there's no combination I can see that's ends up with 10. Eh, whatev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, I was going off a fact sheet that was handed to me. It's actually nine;

Goehring
Tuan Le
Lederer
Negreanu
Lindgren
Grinder
Mortensen
Hansen
Gordon * (I count him since he won the most money in the event, even if he did outplay himself against Helppi)

- Daneshgar is right; Raul Paez has some potential spokesperson-wise. Good look, solid results. He'll be making money away from the table pretty soon imo.

- While we're talking about this event, did anyone see our coverage on worldpokertour.com? I'd really like to get some feedback on it. We're implementing new software that will make the site a lot faster and getting to the neccessary pages won't be as cumbersome soon. I'd like some thoughts on the content itself, and criticism is welcome. Feel free to post them here or pm them to me.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- While we're talking about this event, did anyone see our coverage on worldpokertour.com? I'd really like to get some feedback on it. We're implementing new software that will make the site a lot faster and getting to the neccessary pages won't be as cumbersome soon. I'd like some thoughts on the content itself, and criticism is welcome. Feel free to post them here or pm them to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That talented young man you had providing extra commentary sure was helpful.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:07 AM

lol. Indeed
Old 04-30-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- Daneshgar is right; Raul Paez has some potential spokesperson-wise. Good look, solid results. He'll be making money away from the table pretty soon imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I reviewed the video from WPT Tunica Season 4 and I figured out why Raul Paez didn't register in my mind when I watched the video last year.

- Weak tight play. VVP said that opponents could "read him like a book".

- No table banter whatsoever, with the exception of a smile after Scotty Nguyen joked with him after a hand

- His interview segment was done entirely in Spanish, which had to be dubbed over in English by a producer. Again, he did NOT show much personality at all in the interview.

There was nothing in that video of Paez that would impress an online poker "school" in my opinion.

If and when Paez gets a 2nd chance to be on TV, he has to do MUCH BETTER than he did at Tunica if he wants to endorse products in Spain.

This particular agent evaluates a player based on the following criteria: appearance, personality, language skills, playing ability, and character issues (i.e. existence of prior criminal record or lack thereof, smoking/drinking/gambling habits, etc.)

Based on just the WPT Season 4 Tunica video, Paez comes up short in the personality and playing ability categories in my opinion.

The "personality" part isn't that hard to learn. J.C. Tran, for example, improved his stock dramatically since the end of 2006.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
jigga what?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If and when Paez gets a 2nd chance to be on TV, he has to do MUCH BETTER than he did at Tunica if he wants to endorse products in Spain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he couldn't care less about endorsing products in Spain. There's no need to be so relentlessly negative about the guy. Personally, if the day ever comes when I have to impress "poker agents" to get by in poker, I'll try something else.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Minus that douche-chills moment you had w/ DN, I rather enjoy all of ur extra comments and stories. I get the facts and pics from all the other sites covering the events, but I do like to read what G. Wise writes or covers. He seems to be up on the "know".

I like watching all of the videos that are about and the ones on the wpt's website are okay. They're not like an interrogation like most of the rest (what's ur table like?, how many chips you got? how's ur day been going?) I still watch em all b/c I'm a junkie for the info.

I guess it wasn't just my cpu b/c the website is @ a snail's pace. Will be looking forward to the changes that are made. nh Gary