Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Carlos Mortensen first to win WSOP ME and WPT Championship (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390411)

Hotel Detect 04-28-2007 07:46 AM

Carlos Mortensen first to win WSOP ME and WPT Championship

I think this is highly unlikely to ever be duplicated. Congrats on the win and the $4 mil Carlos - nice timing.

cidcamp 04-28-2007 12:04 PM

Re: Carlos Mortensen first to win WSOP ME and WPT Championship

Grande Carlos! Viva Espaņa!

McCutter 04-28-2007 12:55 PM

That is a great achievement. And a bit of a comeback, right? Wasnt he having a rough time lately?

BenTurpen 04-28-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a great achievement. And a bit of a comeback, right? Wasnt he having a rough time lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hardly, he has just had a rough time lately breaking through to final tables. Off the top of my head, he had a 10th and two 9ths in televised WSOP events and a 2nd in another WSOP event last year. He finished top 15 at the Mandalay Bay and Festa Al Lago championships, and most recently, finished top 15 at the EPT Grand Final.

Inless your referring to the tournament, in which he came back a number of times after being low man.

shaniac 04-28-2007 04:22 PM

Congrats Carlos! Amazing amazing.

Edit: Congrats Kirk, too.

wisehandpoker 04-28-2007 04:49 PM

This was a historic win. He also becme the 10th player to win two WPT titles. Being the winner of the big two titles might be up there with Gus' three wins and Chan's 1987-'89 stretch amongst the great achievements in tournament poker. Felt like Carlos was being forgotten a little before this. Never again.

Carlos told me afterwards that from last year to this, Spanish enrollment at the EPT Grande Finale in Monte Carlo went from one player to twenty-two, so Spain was already exploding, but this could be huge over there. Oliver better get himself some spanish-speaking clients soon:)

Yeti 04-28-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was a historic win. He also becme the 10th player to win two WPT titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

this stat seems mindblowing

sapol 04-28-2007 05:46 PM

I don't think this record will ever be broken.
The reason for this is that it has to be a player who has already won the ME to win the WPTCh. the only ones I can think they might be able to do this would be Chris Ferguson (but he's with the WPT Lawsuit) and Joe Hachem.
I can't imagine any player winning both the MEand the WPTCh in the future.

betgo 04-28-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this record will ever be broken.
The reason for this is that it has to be a player who has already won the ME to win the WPTCh. the only ones I can think they might be able to do this would be Chris Ferguson (but he's with the WPT Lawsuit) and Joe Hachem.
I can't imagine any player winning both the MEand the WPTCh in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a number of WSOP ME winners who have a decent shot at winning a WPTCh, including D. Brunson, Chan, Hellmuth, Harrington, Seed, S. Nguyen, and Raymer. There are other strong players who won the WSOP and are not regular tournament players these days, but could win the WPTCh. There are only a few WSOP champions who are not strong enough players that they would be expected to have a reasonable shot at winning if they enter the WPTCh.

RobertJohn 04-28-2007 07:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. It's not like the WPT Championship is a huge level field as well. A great accomplishment nonetheless, he's gotta be feeling like a million bucks.