Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Lots of milk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We are the only species on the planet that regularly drinks the milk from another species. That can't be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are also the only species cares if poop is on our food...while I don't disagree with paleo diets, I always hear this argument for don't drink milk and I think it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that is a terrible argument. We are the only species that does a lot of things; some of those are good and some are bad.

Another counter to that argument is that the ability to digest lactose must be beneficial in the evolutionary sense given how rapidly and widely the gene has spread.

And for the biology nerds, here's an interesting article discussing how lactose tolerance is perhaps the first trait in which scientists have been able to document convergent evolution in humans at the genetic level. Apparently the mutation arose independently in Africa and Northern Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/scienc...f71&ei=5070
Old 04-20-2007, 07:05 PM

The answer on this seems simple. If you are lactose intolerant don't drink milk, if you aren't and like milk... Then drink it.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 PM

If you aren't lactose intolerant, are there any negative side effects to drinking lots of milk?

What else am I going to mix my shakes with?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM

water? iced green tea?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't lactose intolerant, are there any negative side effects to drinking lots of milk?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am trying to find this out. As I have posted, I was drinking a gallon of 1% milk/day when I for a while, I flet great, no side effects. But then did a seach "milk and cancer" or something on google and it seems people think dairy does lead to more cases of cancer. Of course nothing is proven at this point but I admit, it got me worried a bit because I was drinking so much of it.

Since then I have cut back a lot but now am having trouble getting as many calories/day and thus am losing weight. Milk is so easy to drink and it tastes good.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
water? iced green tea?

[/ QUOTE ]I would imagine it tastes like crap then, am I wrong?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 PM

metabolic drive tastes great with water...
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
water? iced green tea?

[/ QUOTE ]I would imagine it tastes like crap then, am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any problem drinking mine with just water. I used to have Myoplex chocolate, and that was the best tasting protein shake I've had personally (also, fine with water).
Old 04-20-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are the only species on the planet that regularly drinks the milk from another species. That can't be good. Milk is NOT good for you. A majority of the people in this world being lactose intolerant is not just a dumb coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're the only species that cooks food, too. Not sure that's proof of much. How would animals acquire the milk of other species?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything in that article that says to drink 82 oz. per day. I'm not saying milk is bad. I'm saying too much of it can give you problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on genetics and tolerance. I've gone without milk for a month now as I'm on a reduced carb cutting-up plan. Prior to that, though, I drank one gallon of skim milk per day, every day, with no ill effects at all. I honestly can't tell any difference between then and now (digestion has always been fine and still is, etc).

My wife, OTOH, is lactose intolerant and can't drink much more than a few sips. I can't imagine what would happen if she tried to drink a gallon of milk in one day.