Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Engagement Ring Ideas

[ QUOTE ]
An appraisal tells you the item's value. If the item is worth double what you paid for it, why did it only sell for half? [ QUOTE ]
Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? Atlantic Monthly Article

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....So what was that article trying to tell me? I am aware that diamond supply is artificially controlled driving the price way up. I'm aware that there is very little in the way of a resale market for diamonds. How does that affect my quote?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 AM

That you can't sell your ring for that appraisal.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may want to consider Moissanite for many reasons. Lots of stuff on the web. Basically it looks better than a diamond, is more durable in some ways, and a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Amazing find, FFK! I am reading the thing and considering investing in maybe earrings or something first to see my satisfaction level...that link is just amazing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys. I thought it was rather incredible too. I know that this is what I want. *cough cough* [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may want to consider Moissanite for many reasons. Lots of stuff on the web. Basically it looks better than a diamond, is more durable in some ways, and a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Amazing find, FFK! I am reading the thing and considering investing in maybe earrings or something first to see my satisfaction level...that link is just amazing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys. I thought it was rather incredible too. I know that this is what I want. *cough cough* [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FFK - when are you going to drop that zero and get with the hero?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Someone mentioned this before but I will repeat:

www.pricescope.com is a fantastic site. Way, way more info than other sites. The forums are pretty good too. Start with the tutorial: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/.

I bought from www.whiteflash.com -- received the ring yesterday and it looks fantastic. I recommend them highly.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM

my advice to you... and what I did was first learn all about the 4 c's maybe at bluenile.com. Then, take pad and paper to many different jewelery stores. Know in your head what you want to get... for me it had to be at least a carat and the cut had to be excellent. The color, when you start getting up there, there's not that much noticeable difference, so you don't have to get top of the line color. I also didn't want to see any visible inclusions. So, with those guidelines, I went to all the jewelery stores and wrote down the specific diamond qualifications and their prices. I think I went to at least 10 different stores. Some of them were extremely shady and their diamonds obviously sucked. Then, I had a rough idea of what kind of price I was looking at.

Then the fun part... Kay had an extremely beautiful diamond, but Hannoush had an equally beautiful diamond for a little more. Hannoush, however, after telling them what Kay had bargained with me... brought the price down around $1K and included free laser inscription. I then went to Kay and talked to them... but I think they had fixed prices, so I went back to Hannoush and got the ring I wanted.

Ugh this was much longer than I thought. tl;dr summary:
1) Know your c's and get an idea of what you'd want in carat size. Go to the store and compare diamonds of different colors, cut, and clarity. Use the scale and get an idea of where on the scale your diamond should be.
2) Shop around and write down prices and specifications for diamonds. Plus any bonus things they may give you.
3) Haggle.
4) I suggest you get your diamonds serial # laser inscripted on the diamond in case some jeweler tries to pull a switcheroo on you one day.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Congradulations on the coming engagement. I have some experience in this area so I'll give you my opinion.

I highly recommend having a ring custom made. If you know a jeweler this really helps. I have fraternity brother who owns a jewelry store and I was able to get a platinum filigree setting to match my ex-wife's great grandmother's wedding band we were using.

I was able to have some input on the way it looked. I think you will happier later in life than if you are able to say "I got this bad boy at Cosco, cheap".

Another reason that is no less important down the road: Ring Story from the my vault
Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Diamonds are for chumps.

LINK
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fake diamonds are for poor hippy chumps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 PM

do what I did.

Mine your own stone.

I flew out to Oregon (dustdevil mine) with some buddies and mined some sunstones. Fiancee didn't want a diamond because of the whole 'bloodstones' stuff, and that DeBeers is an icky monopoly. I think this turned out way better, anyway... as I got to create a great story about the engagement ring. It's way cheaper - but any good ladyfriend of yours shouldn't care, because it's such a cool thing to do...

I came out looking like a champ to all her friends and family... because nobody had heard of doing such a thing.

the money you'd save.. you can take her on a vacation. Heck.. run it past her... see what she thinks. You can find the dustdevil mine by googling it.