Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Aggressive driving tips

[ QUOTE ]
The Head Fake

Say you want to change lanes left, but there's an ass who intentionally closes the gap just when you think you can make it. Look over your right shoulder a couple times while monitoring your left mirror. He'll get complacent, and that's when you make your move.

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually believe that other people are looking at your head while driving?

Just move fast without signaling, as OP says. It won't make any difference what the other guy thinks.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take issue with OP's assertion that in heavy traffic, the middle lane is best. I spent insane amount commuting in DC and my observations was that most times, the right lane is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found the same to be true in Atlanta. Everybody thinks by getting to the left they are avoiding people that slow down for exits or are getting behind the faster crowd. Staying to the right is faster because of this, and because people getting off on exits don't start slowing down until they are out of the main lanes (that's how exits are designed). And when they leave they create empty space.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Here are a few advanced moves :

On most newer roads/freeways the lanes are very wide. This means there's actually plenty of space between the lanes for you to pass right down the middle. (the main risk here is if the other drivers freak out and do something stupid)

Similar to the "head fake" you can do the swerve-off. Say you need to change lanes and some ass won't let you. Make a swerve & back off. This usually makes him brake hard which opens up the space for you. Last resort.

The freeway "zigzag". In a lot of rush hour freeway jams, the lanes go through a pattern where the right lane speeds up to an exit, then it jams up with an onramp feeding a merge, over and over. You can ride this by lane changing all the way right, all the way left, back and forth. You stay right until right before the onramp, go all the way left, then once the merge jam clears up and it starts feeding an exit ramp you go back to the right, zig-zagging across the freeway the whole way.

Also a general tip : never ever pull up to a stop right behind the car in front of you; I always leave a nice space so that I can quickly pull out and change lanes. This is especially important in stop & go jams.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Wow. This is a nice collection of douchebaggery we have here. Well done, guys.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Closed weigh stations also make for good passing lanes.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I take issue with OP's assertion that in heavy traffic, the middle lane is best. I spent insane amount commuting in DC and my observations was that most times, the right lane is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found the same to be true in Atlanta. Everybody thinks by getting to the left they are avoiding people that slow down for exits or are getting behind the faster crowd. Staying to the right is faster because of this, and because people getting off on exits don't start slowing down until they are out of the main lanes (that's how exits are designed). And when they leave they create empty space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I-85 going into Atlanta south of the airport was the first road I thought of where the middle lane is awesome. Keep in mind I'm talking about medium density traffic, not heavy traffic. Once you get into the city it's a different story.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM

This thread is awesome. I guess my one tip is when you are on a 2 lane highway and someone ahead of you is turning right, just move into the other lane if it. It always bugs me when people come to a crawl after going 80 for no good reason. Also I say we need more yield signs and less stop signs.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always look far ahead. I've been in the left lane of a two lane street and noticed a car 10 cars ahead of me signaling when there's no turn lane. I get over to the right lane and pass him and the nine cars that were in front of me because they were too oblivious or didn't think fast or pay attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this CONSTANTLY as I live on a 2-lanes-each-side-of-the-road main street (west main st, to be precise) and at a busy time of day, this can save huge amounts of time.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Closed weigh stations also make for good passing lanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very advanced play. I will have to try this one day.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:23 PM

You forgot to mention the required additional equipment - helmet, more vodka, handgun, paid up life insurance.