Old 10-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Re: The Catch

[ QUOTE ]
The Chavez catch

[/ QUOTE ]

is even better in real-time, with appropriate context
Old 10-20-2006, 11:33 PM

Given the circumstances, a tied game seven for the pennant, if it's not the most electrifying catch of all-time, it's got to be close.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's a one-hopper, but isn't THIS (briefly shown at the beginning) the leading choice for the best defensive play ever?

Many say he made the greatest play of all time in his rookie season with the Padres in 1978. After Atlanta's Jeff Burroughs hit a grounder up the middle, Smith dove to his left. But the ball hit a stone in the dirt and took a crazy bounce in the opposite direction. Quickly, Smith reached up with his bare right hand. In one motion, he ripped the ball out of the air, sprang up, and threw Burroughs out at first base. Smith himself called it "the toughest play I've ever had," and in an informal survey of big leaguers, most mentioned this play as the most amazing they have ever seen

ozzie smith's wikipedia link - usa today article

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that would get my vote for best play ignoring game context
Old 10-21-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's a one-hopper, but isn't THIS (briefly shown at the beginning) the leading choice for the best defensive play ever?

Many say he made the greatest play of all time in his rookie season with the Padres in 1978. After Atlanta's Jeff Burroughs hit a grounder up the middle, Smith dove to his left. But the ball hit a stone in the dirt and took a crazy bounce in the opposite direction. Quickly, Smith reached up with his bare right hand. In one motion, he ripped the ball out of the air, sprang up, and threw Burroughs out at first base. Smith himself called it "the toughest play I've ever had," and in an informal survey of big leaguers, most mentioned this play as the most amazing they have ever seen

ozzie smith's wikipedia link - usa today article

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that would get my vote for best play ignoring game context

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the circumstances, a tied game seven for the pennant, if it's not the most electrifying catch of all-time, it's got to be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's why I give Edmonds catch in game 7 of the 2004NLCS the nod. The game gets out of hand early if he misses that. IT did reverse momentum and the Cards came back against Clemens to prevail. Plus, I saw it in person, so it adds to my bias. Best jump I've ever seen off the bat.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:50 AM

Sheak,

The height is nice but it doesn't mean a whole lot other than that it matters b/c it is the height he needed to be to catch the ball. You can't say one catch is better than another based on how high one player is compared to another in this particular situation b/c it is arbitrary, the HR's were at two different levels and while you argue that Chavez had to jump higher I will argue that Matthews had to catch a ball slicing away from him...much more difficult than a line shot, and it isn't even close. There is a reason you have never seen a catch like Matthews' before and we see well timed great leaps robbing HR's all throughout the season. I seriously have no clue how you argue this.

"Try catching a routine ground ball in the 4th inning of Game 2 versus the 6th inning in a tie game in game 7. Luck or no luck, being expected to make the play or not, you still have to catch the ball."

Ummm Ok. Robbing a HR isn't even on the same planet as fielding a groundball. Fielding a groundball is a slow process requiring thoughtful footwork, getting around the ball to allow yourself the proper position to not only field the ball out front but in a position to throw through the ball as well. You have time to allow the situation to creep into your head plus YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO MAKE THIS PLAY. Robbing a HR isn't even the same thing. You take your angle/route, haul ass, hope to time it right and hope to catch it and the way you do it is by staying aggressive the entire way...key word in there is "hope" because you aren't expected to make this play, it is just a bonus if you do so trust me no outfielder is letting a situation creep into their mind as they hope to make a low percentage catch over the wall. Please don't act like they are the same thing.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:07 AM

I forgot about that Matthews catch, awesome seeing it again.

I think you have to consider the situation when deciding on these plays because the Chavez catch is worth so much more to his team at the time. To be honest I'm surprised the Mets didn't win the game, that play is the kind of momentum changer that can drive a team to a win. Props to the Cardinals for pulling it out.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason you have never seen a catch like Matthews' before and we see well timed great leaps robbing HR's all throughout the season. I seriously have no clue how you argue this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Matthews' catch was too unbelievable to argue this any farther, I just wanted to point out that the Chavez catch was more than just a well timed leap. I seriously think he bends his wrist back in order to get more space to catch that ball on the way down, instead of keeping the wrist straight and having the ball sail over it. I don't know if you know what I mean by that, I just mean that Chavez had to reach back to grab it. Plus holding on to this ball once he slams the wall is no small feat. Let's not turn these catches into an argument and enjoy them instead as phb said.

In terms of the degree of difficulty going up, I'll concede again, but note that going back he's thinking about nothing but catching the ball.

And finally, the Mets win, and you could straight tell me Chavez' play was routine and I wouldn't care - the words would echo in my ear as chant, "En-dy Cha-vez."
Old 10-21-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Dwight Clark played for the Mets

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Although most of the posters here probably weren't even born when that happened. /Sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't THAT long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this game was on NFL's Greatest Games on ESPN yesterday afternoon.