Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Preakness Picks

Just got into horseracing this year. I watched barbaro before the race and thought "man this horse is special, He just looks like a champion." A few minutes later Im almost in tears when he cant even stand on his leg. This was a sad day. I dont think a sporting event ever made me feel like this.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, the major problem is the blood supply of the hoof and foot. If that is compromised to the point that adequate blood supply doesn't get to the foot, there is really nothing that can be done short of euthanasia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why a horse has to be euthanized in that case. Can't they just amputate the leg? I've seen several three-legged dogs that got around just fine.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:33 AM

from nytimes:

[ QUOTE ]

He said horses had two small arteries in their legs, and the concern was that blood flow to the lower limb might be impeded.

"That's what you worry about as life-threatening," Bramlage said. "Secondly, if this kind of injury happened to us, we'd be put up in bed for six weeks. But you can't do that for a horse."

A horse's physiology and temperament are not designed for long stretches of inactivity. A horse with a severely injured leg will try to put weight on it; if a horse is forced to recline, its internal organs may not react properly.

[/ QUOTE ]